Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Any good places to buy software?
ysr_racer 11:53 PM 07-19-2012
I need a product key for Office 2010, and Quickbooks 2012 Pro.

Anybody have a good (cheap) place to buy legit software?
[Reply]
forgop 05:32 AM 07-20-2012
Do you know any college students? Most schools have software agreements. I was able to get Win 7 and the latest Office 4 cd set for $20 each 2 years ago.
[Reply]
drjammer 07:17 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Do you know any college students? Most schools have software agreements. I was able to get Win 7 and the latest Office 4 cd set for $20 each 2 years ago.
I got a similar deal through school as well :-)
[Reply]
Silound 07:23 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Technically, that license is not valid for a non-student.

Software prices are usually pretty fixed. Companies like Microsoft will not allow their products to be sold for less than a certain amount, so I find the best option is actually bidding for sealed retail packaging on eBay for reputable sellers.
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 07:23 AM 07-20-2012
Most companies have a deal like this too. If you have an email address with companies that have this setup, you go to microsoft's website, give it your work email addy and it emails you instructions. I've worked for about 4 companies that all had this deal with them. I think I paid $10 for Office?

Here is the link:

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/ho...?culture=en-US
[Reply]
poker 07:41 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
I need a product key for Office 2010, and Quickbooks 2012 Pro.

Anybody have a good (cheap) place to buy legit software?
If you're looking for just a product key, you aint looking to go legit. :-)
[Reply]
area51 08:02 AM 07-20-2012
YOu should look into Open Office.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 10:45 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by poker:
If you're looking for just a product key, you aint looking to go legit. :-)
Not necessarily true, all you're really buying when you buy software is a licence to use the product. By the product key from a legitimate retailer/channel and you're fully legit. The installation media is basically irrelevant now.

I 2nd the Microsoft HUP program if you can access it. Office 2011 for my wife's new MacBook Air cost me $11, otherwise she would have just gotten OpenOffice cause there was no way I'd pay $200 for an office suite.
[Reply]
poker 11:09 AM 07-20-2012
Possible I guess, but personally I've never seen a legitimate authorized retailer for MS Office selling just the key.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:50 AM 07-20-2012
Possible I guess, but personally I've never seen a legitimate authorized retailer for MS Office selling just the key.
There are legal ways to do this -- I used to do it when I had my Tech Support business. Businesses that build systems can set up a reseller account with Microsoft where they buy keys for their customers. You have to provide the customer information for each key in order to prevent someone from getting a lot of keys and just reselling them on the open market.

The pricing is volume based and the the cost per key is pretty high (but less than MSRP) for small business which do not usually sell enough software to get a price break...
[Reply]
poker 11:55 AM 07-20-2012
Well see? I learned something new today! Thanks Michael!
[Reply]
ysr_racer 08:53 PM 07-20-2012
Here you go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116860

Office 2010 Home and Business Product Key Card (no media)

Average Rating(41 reviews)Write a Review

For a new PC preloaded with Microsoft Office 2010

Overview

Microsoft® Office Home and Business 2010 brings together the roles of managing a business, running a household and helping with homework. Get the benefits of all the programs you need to be productive including Microsoft® Outlook® 2010 — so you can tackle your busy day efficiently with powerful email, scheduling and social networking tools to keep your life and work in sync.

•For use on 1 PC. No Disc. Download available. Not transferrable.
• Enjoy flexibility — now you can easily post your Office documents online and access, share and edit them with Office Web Apps. It's an ideal way to extend your Office 2010 experience to the Web.
• Work together — brainstorm ideas, share notes and work on documents with others simultaneously thanks to the new co-authoring tool in Word, PowerPoint® and OneNote®.
• Find it on new Backstage™ view — replaces the traditional File menu to give you one go-to spot to conveniently save, open and print documents. Customize the tab commands to fit your individual needs so you can navigate tasks effortlessly.
• Programs you rely on — Microsoft® Office 2010 is an industry standard offering our latest, innovative tools to make your documents richer and more informative. Home and Business includes 2010 versions of Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, OneNote® and Outlook®.
[Reply]
bobarian 09:08 PM 07-20-2012
Not sure how a PC preloaded with software meets your needs. But if it does, go for it chief. :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 09:48 PM 07-20-2012
Well see? I learned something new today! Thanks Michael!
Microsoft also does it for products which they've detected are using pirated keys. They give you the option to purchase the product and then just give you a valid key to activate the software you already have installed.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:53 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
Most companies have a deal like this too. If you have an email address with companies that have this setup, you go to microsoft's website, give it your work email addy and it emails you instructions. I've worked for about 4 companies that all had this deal with them. I think I paid $10 for Office?

Here is the link:

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/ho...?culture=en-US
Thanks for the link. :-)
[Reply]
cmitch 10:21 PM 07-20-2012
Many times in the past when I bought new Macs, it had office preinstalled for a 30 day trial. After trial was up, you had to pay for the serial number key to enter to reactivate it.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 11:10 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by cmitch:
Many times in the past when I bought new Macs, it had office preinstalled for a 30 day trial. After trial was up, you had to pay for the serial number key to enter to reactivate it.
I believe many of the cheaper computers are the same way
[Reply]
Up