Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Drew Estate La Vieja Habana
smitty81 08:30 AM 07-16-2012
Anyone ever try this line from DE?

At $3.27 a stick, I had to give them a try.

I bought a Maduro and a Corojo both in the Gordo size as it was all they had.

I tried the Maduro one but haven't got around to the Corojo yet.

My first thoughts were that the wrapper tasted funny, maybe just a luck of the draw type of thing on that.

The flavor of the wrapper faded quickly though. The cigar itself sort of reminded me of a Brick House cigar.

Not real powerful and strong tasting but decent flavor. Not to sure how to describe the flavor other than the typical Nicaraguan flavor profile.

Burn was pretty good although I did have to correct it a bit. That may be due to the humidor I got them out of, I think they are kept a little on the wet side in there.

For the price of the cigar, I give it a thumbs up.

[Reply]
icehog3 08:35 AM 07-16-2012
Many, many years ago the Early Years Silencios from this line were one of my go-to smokes. Then they changed the blend. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 08:39 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Many, many years ago the Early Years Silencios from this line were one of my go-to smokes. Then they changed the blend. :-)
How old is this line Tom?
[Reply]
dave 08:39 AM 07-16-2012
Burned a few of these in my early cigar days. None were awful. IIRC the corojo and cammie were the best, to me. Most were B&M purchases. I never really got very excited about any mixed fillers, however.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:41 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
I am not sure how far back, I was smoking the Silencios back in '04.
[Reply]
T.G 08:42 AM 07-16-2012

The LVHEY Silencios were awesome little cigars.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:48 AM 07-16-2012
I am not sure how far back, I was smoking the Silencios back in '04.
Still the original blend in '06 I believe. Like Tom, they were one of my faves back then.
[Reply]
T.G 08:50 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:

Jon has had the line name around for a long time. What is sold today as LVHs is nothing like what they used to be. There were, IIRC, three lines way back when, LVH (Natural wrappers), LVH Early Years (CT. Broadleaf maduro) and LVH Leather Patch (Cameroon), blends were different for the three lines, all were long filler. What is being sold today is a mixed filler contract / exclusive cigar.
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:55 AM 07-16-2012
I bought a box once, and I don't know...but they were the nastiest sticks I've ever experienced.
[Reply]
T.G 08:59 AM 07-16-2012
Darren, off the top of my head I want to say that the older long filler blends have been gone since 08 or thereabouts. If it was more recently, then what you bought was the reblended inexpensive contracted line.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:55 AM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Darren, off the top of my head I want to say that the older long filler blends have been gone since 08 or thereabouts. If it was more recently, then what you bought was the reblended inexpensive contracted line.
It was definitely the newer, Cuban sandwich kind.
[Reply]
Dunkel 12:11 PM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I bought a box once, and I don't know...but they were the nastiest sticks I've ever experienced.
I smoked a Maduro a few years ago and like every DE smoke I've had it was disappointing.
[Reply]
Ratters 08:00 PM 07-16-2012
Went through a few boxes of The Early Years, great smoke, especially with some time on them. Haven't had the guts to try any of the new ones.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:38 PM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Went through a few boxes of The Early Years, great smoke, especially with some time on them. Haven't had the guts to try any of the new ones.
You ain't missin' a thing. :-)
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 04:16 AM 07-17-2012
I just stumbled upon these as I was looking through the DE website, and I decided to add on a box of Cammies to my last online order. A buddy of mine is new to cigars and likes mild smokes, so I thought that we could smoke them together. We had one the other night, and they weren't too bad but nothing special. If anything, they could be paired with a cup of coffee in the morning.
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 04:17 AM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
I just stumbled upon these as I was looking through the DE website, and I decided to add on a box of Cammies to my last online order. A buddy of mine is new to cigars and likes mild smokes, so I thought that we could smoke them together. We had one the other night, and they weren't too bad but nothing special. If anything, they could be paired with a cup of coffee in the morning.
Sorry...forgot something....

I bought a box of them, so if anybody wants to try a couple, just send me a message with your addy.
[Reply]
Up