Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Where the band is on Cigars
Brandon 06:15 PM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by massphatness:
I'm confused. I always assumed any ligero leaf used in a cigar ran pretty much the length of the cigar. I had no idea the ligero started around the band. :-)
You're right. Ligero runs throughout. I just had a blonde moment. I meant to say the point at which the cigar changes flavor profile substantially. When most cigars are blended, they intend on most of the cigar to be smoked... not just a couple inches. The building of tar and other substances changes the profile towards the end.

Bottom line.... cigar bands are ornamental... smoke a cigar as far as you want... and do what ever you want with the cigar band. Cigars are only fermented, dried up leaves with fancy labels on them.
[Reply]
oooo35980 08:30 PM 06-20-2012
I always pitch mine when it becomes a chore to smoke rather than a pleasure, the point at which that happens varies from cigar to cigar. The band is just decoration, I remove it as soon as is possible without damaging it, for some cigars it's right at the beginning, some require warming up the glue. I don't even keep the bands anymore, so it's completely pointless for me to care about damaging the bands, but it's what I do. I don't need a good reason to remove the band, I just prefer the look of a cigar in my hand sans band.

At least the cello argument has some bearing on the aging of the cigar, I don't see how bands on or off affects anything...
[Reply]
gnbikes 09:16 PM 06-20-2012
I tend to leave the band on until it comes off easily. Box pressed cigars I normally take them off before lighting. I think that they "round out" more evenly with the band off.
Gifting a cigar means that I no longer own it. If the receipient wants to smoke only an inch, it's his cigar he can do whatever he wants with it.
G-
[Reply]
kuzi16 08:10 AM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I never thought to do that. :-)

If you didn't realize it, my post was in addition to yours. Not a contradiction.
clearly i didnt realize that.

thats not even sarcasm.
i didnt. thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Crownedone 09:18 AM 06-21-2012
The band comes off as soon as possible, before putting fire to it if I can. I do this because I hate the feel of the bands on the cigar. I want to feel the smoothness or toothyness of the wrapper. The feel of the tabacoo in my hand is part of the over all cigar smoking experience.
[Reply]
FriendlyMan 06:28 PM 06-21-2012
I defiantly agree with your first statement.

If I cigar keeps on going out I hate the almost as much as a a pluged cigar.

Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I always pitch mine when it becomes a chore to smoke rather than a pleasure, the point at which that happens varies from cigar to cigar. The band is just decoration, I remove it as soon as is possible without damaging it, for some cigars it's right at the beginning, some require warming up the glue. I don't even keep the bands anymore, so it's completely pointless for me to care about damaging the bands, but it's what I do. I don't need a good reason to remove the band, I just prefer the look of a cigar in my hand sans band.

At least the cello argument has some bearing on the aging of the cigar, I don't see how bands on or off affects anything...

[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up