Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Maintaining Humidity Is Overated
longknocker 11:54 AM 06-16-2012
Got Into My Golf Cart This Morning & Found A 601 Green That I Had Forgotten & Left In The Garage & Golf Cart For 3 Weeks!:-) I Thought :-) & Lit It This Morning. It Smoked Great!:-) I'm So Picky About Maintaining My Humis @ 63-65 & I Now Realize It Probably Doesn't Matter That Much!:-) Any Other Input? Thanks!:-)
[Reply]
area51 11:58 AM 06-16-2012
Honestly, Your probably right.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 12:11 PM 06-16-2012
i noticed the same thing when i was in the desert. better safe than sorry though, thats my motto.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:18 PM 06-16-2012
Some cigars are more (or less) tolerant of humidity than others. I would prefer to be more cautious and maintain my humidity then have some of my cigars smoke poorly...

Just my :-)
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 12:25 PM 06-16-2012
I was actually wondering the same thing recently.

The only problems I have had so far out here in the desert was when I left a couple cigars in the glove box of a little pickup truck in 110+ weather for a while, and they just dried up and fell apart. Otherwise, I have a little tupperware (tupperdore?) that I keep in my backpack, through all weather and extremes, with no way of controlling humidity, and it seems to produce good smokes on a more regular basis than the traditional ceder humidor that I keep at my flat.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:28 PM 06-16-2012
I've little doubt many guys are much to anal about maintaining proper humidity and temperature. I've also little doubt that one should not push it too far the other way, and end up with sticks as wet as a sausage or as dry as a bone.
[Reply]
Ogre 12:33 PM 06-16-2012
Greg, with all the rain you have been getting the past 3weeks, I am sure you humidity is 65+ %. Mother Nature has taken care of that cigar.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:34 PM 06-16-2012
Cigars are more resiliant than many people think, I often leave cigars in my travelador for a couple weeks at a time w/o humidification, and suffer no ill effects.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 12:40 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Greg, with all the rain you have been getting the past 3weeks, I am sure you humidity is 65+ %. Mother Nature has taken care of that cigar.
This.
[Reply]
longknocker 01:40 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Cigars are more resiliant than many people think, I often leave cigars in my travelador for a couple weeks at a time w/o humidification, and suffer no ill effects.
:-) I Prefer To Keep My Sticks At Constant RH, But I Was Really Surprised!:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:43 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I do the same Tom -- traveldor's tend to seal very well so I never worry about the RH.

My wooden humidors don't seal quite so well, so I do try to manage the RH.
[Reply]
Bleez 01:53 PM 06-16-2012
Just went out to my truck bc This thread reminded me That I had a traveldor in the truck from golf a couple days go. 63%, 106 degrees. Needless to say they're in the house now.
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:05 PM 06-16-2012
Ever since I got back from Hawaii I haven't been able to get my humi above 60%. I think it dried out on the plane and needs reseasoned. The sticks inside are smoking great though, I can't think of the last time I had a real burn issue and the flavor is spot on. Even though they have dried out enough that the bands are ever so slightly looser than before.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:15 PM 06-16-2012
If I had a working hygrometer I would know the Rh in my coolers and Vinotemps. :-)
[Reply]
Up