Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Will ambient humidity affect seasoning?
Hitagain 08:51 AM 06-16-2012
My new drawers for my Wineador arrived the other day. I unpacked then in my garage and set them on my work bench to install the handles. The humidity in the garage was about 68%. The next day it rained so the humidity was way up. I installed the drawers in the wineador the evening it rained. I put a humidistat in the wineador and check the next day, the reading was 70%. Could the ambient humidity "pre-seasoned" the drawers?

Mods please move this thread if it sould be in a different forum.
[Reply]
OLS 09:02 AM 06-16-2012
While it certainly can be said that the rain DID pre-season your drawers, whether it is perfectly ready to accept cigars
is likely a matter of debate. If you were like me you would decide that it was fine and load her up. But I don't even use a
hygrometer in my ice chests. They look, feel and smoke fine to me. Purists might tell you not to try any short cuts to a
established procedure.
[Reply]
Hitagain 09:07 AM 06-16-2012
I plan on waiting a couple of weeks before I add my sticks to make sure its stable. Just found it strange that I was reading right in range "out of the box".
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:43 AM 06-16-2012
Maybe they are seasoned and maybe not. Take the time and make sure. It's a couple of weeks up front or a lot of misery down the road trying to smoke cigars that don't smoke well due to improper storage.

Cigars take patience. A lot of patience :-)
[Reply]
Drez 11:53 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Maybe they are seasoned and maybe not. Take the time and make sure. It's a couple of weeks up front or a lot of misery down the road trying to smoke cigars that don't smoke well due to improper storage.

Cigars take patience. A lot of patience :-)
^^^this

dont rush it. wait a couple days and see what reading you get then.
[Reply]
Up