Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Scuba Diving
jjmitchem 05:50 PM 06-07-2012
Any Divers in the Asylum?

Finally got certified a few weeks ago and now I've got the bug

Spending too much time on Craig's list searching for gear so I don't cut too deep into my cigar budget :-)
[Reply]
Samsquanch 05:54 PM 06-07-2012
I love diving! I'm in Seattle so our water is quite a bit colder than yours but still great. Best dive trip of my life was in Maui; warm and crystal clear water will make you never want to dip a toe in the Puget Sound again!

I dive a few times a year so I don't own my own gear (other than personal stuff, like mask and fins, etc...). Each time I rent it's about $75-$100, so it would be cheaper to buy my stuff but it's easier this way anyhow.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 06:00 PM 06-07-2012
It can get expensive. Ive already got a great mask and fins. Not knowing how much longer I have here in Hawaii and where I'll end up next I decided to just pick up used gear. Plenty of it here

Grabbed a decent BCD yesterday and I'm taking a look at a regulator and octo now. It's old but it's also cheap and will hold me over till I can find better stuff.
[Reply]
shilala 07:24 PM 06-07-2012
I'm certified, I just went diving in Belize this past winter.
I'd spend every waking moment on the reefs if I could, I love it.
I think we have an official diving thread here, Chappy. I know Jonathon (Black Coral) makes a living around it and tons of guys here dive. Take a look and see if you can find it.
[Reply]
shilala 07:27 PM 06-07-2012
Here it is.
It'd be nice to get some pics going. I have tons, including video, I'm just too lazy to post the stuff. :-)
[Reply]
Jefft72 07:33 PM 06-07-2012
I have been certified and diving as much as I can for the past 7 years. My main diving is in local Texas lakes, which isn't necessarily the most fun, but it is good at keeping the skills fresh. Plus, whenever I get to dive in anything with greater than 25' vis then I am in heaven. I rented gear early on, but soon found myself picking up a used transpac from someone local. I was lucky enough to get a set of regs handed down from my Dad, who also dives and I scored a pair of AL80s on Craigslist for a song.

Having my Dad as a dive partner is excellent, but also having 4 young kids really limits my diving. My most recent trip was a 2 day dive to the Flower Gardens out in the Gulf of Mexico. Fantastic trip with tons of things to see.

To top it off, I toasted each night with a stogie on the top deck of the boat underneath the moon. It was great to lay in a lounge char with the boat rolling on the waves enjoying a stick. In fact, I have found that cigars go great with diving.....typically after a couple of dives when folks are kicking back with a cold one I will fire up something good.
[Reply]
WittyUserName 09:43 PM 06-07-2012
CONGRATULATIONS Brother!!! I have been diving for just over a year now. I am about to hit 200 dives and just became a PADI Dive Master. It is an awesome sport and just as slippery a slope as cigars.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 09:57 PM 06-07-2012
Here are a few pics from my recent dives here in Hawaii

I'm the one at the top of the entrance

And a pic from my dive buddy this past winter

[Reply]
Jefft72 10:43 PM 06-07-2012
Wow! That is an awesome picture with the whale! Thanks for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
eber 12:23 AM 06-08-2012
I have been certified for over 10 years, unfortunately I have not gone on any dive trips for probably at least 5 of those, they tend to get expensive. I really want to go diving again soon!

Oh and that pic with the wale is incredible!
[Reply]
Rob_M 07:39 AM 10-13-2012
I have been working as a technical dive instructor/guide in Truk Lagoon for the past 3 yrs. I also enjoy cave diving when I get the chance to visit home in North Florida.
Here are a couple pics from a wreck we dived today. 40 minutes at a max depth of 187ft. Epic dive on the Aikoku Maru, my favorite wreck.

Me slipping through the wreckage into the engine room.......
[Reply]
Black Coral 07:52 AM 10-13-2012
Been diving for 20 years, I have my own shop called black coral dive. I have travelled the world for years and finally now moved to Orlando to be close to Florida caves and the ocean.
I am an instructor trainer for naui and iantd. Lots of time in the water and enjoy it.

If there is anything I can help a brother out or any questions let me know.

Enjoy the underwater world.
[Reply]
Rob_M 08:15 AM 10-13-2012
Originally Posted by Black Coral:
Been diving for 20 years, I have my own shop called black coral dive. I have travelled the world for years and finally now moved to Orlando to be close to Florida caves and the ocean.
I am an instructor trainer for naui and iantd. Lots of time in the water and enjoy it.

If there is anything I can help a brother out or any questions let me know.

Enjoy the underwater world.
John, you need to organize a group trip out to Truk for the shop, We can hit the wrecks then have a nice stick to celebrate :-)
[Reply]
Up