Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Check Out This Dog.
shilala 09:54 AM 06-03-2012
Here's the video.
This dog has Neuromyotonia, it's the same thing I have. I had no idea dogs could get it and I thought it was pretty amazing, even if it wasn't pertinent.
Neuromyotonia is kind of a "blanket term" that covers tons of things, including Isaac's Syndrome and PAM (Potassium Aggravated Myotonia), which I deal with daily.
The dog video is a really awesome example because he has little tiny muscles and it makes the Neuromyotonia look very defined. It'd much less defined in large muscle groups, like in my thigh.

The Neuromyotonia is actually completely painless, it just wears a person out because it's never-ending exercise, even sleeping.
What happens is that after a period of time, my muscles harden, staying stuck in a fully flexed position, and they won't let go. Then they continue to tighten until they tear themselves up. That hurts a bit, and takes a lot of healing.
It also causes what they call "periodic paralysis", because I lose control of all the body parts that no longer listen to what I tell them, beit my legs, arms, whatever.
It's all really kind of fascinating, I forgot until someone showed me that dog video. The people help control the dog with valium, which doesn't work for the spasms. It does get him pretty wasted, though. :-)
[Reply]
area51 10:00 AM 06-03-2012
That's interesting to say the least. What causes the muscles to spasm?
[Reply]
Blueface 10:32 AM 06-03-2012
Man Scott, that can't be fun.
I had to give up diving due to spasms in foot due to Meds and that is nowhere near this.
It would drive me nuts.
Is there any way to help contain that?
[Reply]
shilala 03:48 PM 06-03-2012
Originally Posted by area51:
That's interesting to say the least. What causes the muscles to spasm?
It's a problem with the calcium channels in the muscles. I have problems with my sodium channels, as well.
Or it's vice versa, I forget. It's been a long time since I've read up on how it all works.
[Reply]
shilala 03:51 PM 06-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Man Scott, that can't be fun.
I had to give up diving due to spasms in foot due to Meds and that is nowhere near this.
It would drive me nuts.
Is there any way to help contain that?
I take about 20 pills a day, Carlos. Like I said earlier, the rippling spasms (fasciculations) don't hurt at all, they're really not an issue, but they can be contained somewhat by the same drugs that take care of the painful stuff.
[Reply]
Up