Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>First Cut With The Shopbot, Finally.
shilala 10:07 AM 06-01-2012
Yesterday I finally plugged in my shopbot that I got awhile ago. I learned a few commands, moved things around with my mouse (it hooks up to the laptop in my shop), and more or less stared at it with my mouth hanging open.
After running some "air cuts", it was time to surface the sacrificial top I put on her. That was a total headache. None of this would be so tough, but the support paperwork that came with this machine should have really been on a toilet paper roll. Were it not for Google, I would have been stuck from the word go.
I had to append a program, find a starting point, move my cutting tool, change positioning to absolute, then run the program. Each time I wanted to make adjustments to the previous program I had to start from scratch. Not very intuitive.
Ultimately I resurfaced the top 3 times, finally getting it deep enough and smooth enough to suit me.
Today I'll be getting my shop laptop loaded with a ton of software and I'll start familiarizing myself with the first program, attempting to make some little signs for the garden. That's a small enough project that shouldn't require a whole lot of brain power, or so I hope. :-)

Here's the video of the maiden voyage. The first step towards making some wicked badass humidors. :-)
[Reply]
sevans105 10:16 AM 06-01-2012
Congrats Scott. I know it's been a long time coming. Some day, I'll have you build me my dream desktop humidor.... That sweet black box the suit came in from Greatest American Hero! Gotta have the motorized sliding lid, of course!

[Reply]
Jefft72 10:28 AM 06-01-2012
Awesome! Looking forward to whatever comes from it. That toy opens up tons of avenues that just aren't feasible with standard shop tools.
[Reply]
Stephen 12:06 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Congrats Scott. I know it's been a long time coming. Some day, I'll have you build me my dream desktop humidor.... That sweet black box the suit came in from Greatest American Hero! Gotta have the motorized sliding lid, of course!

Believe it or not, George isn't at home. Please leave a message at the beep. I must be out or I'd pick up the phone. Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home...
[Reply]
maninblack 03:32 PM 06-01-2012
I see what you did there Stephen!
[Reply]
shilala 05:53 PM 06-01-2012
I spent the whole day getting my shop computer full of software and I made some cutting files.
I have a program that turns photos into carvings, and it's really easy to use. Problem is, I couldn't get the router to spin up. I'm going to have to figure out what's wrong or learn the command for spinning up the router and add it to the part file.
I've come a long way in just a couple days, but I have so much more to learn. My head literally hurts, I think I put too much info in there, I'm gonna have to sacrifice something. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:10 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
. My head literally hurts, I think I put too much info in there, I'm gonna have to sacrifice something. :-)
Ah, the ol' Kelly Bundy syndrome. Good luck with it Scott.
[Reply]
Up