Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Let's Make Dinner!
E.J. 05:04 PM 05-27-2012
Okay, Michelle is working and we've been running for a few days, so today we have been pretty slow....REALLY slow. Thus, you get to watch a photo documentary of dinner.... This was a new recipe that someone from another forum posted and I tried to run with.... Thanks, Jt....

Let's start with a garlic bulb....:-)

As instructed, an hour before firing the steak, I trimmed the tips of the garlic and drizzled with olive oil.... Now I'm supposed to have a garlic roaster for this, but at present do not... So into a little baking dish, covered and into the oven for 1 hour at 325.

Though Jt grilled his asparagus, I am just going to bake it, as it is chitty outside and I'm not going out to grill... So I trimmed the ends, drizzled some more olive oil, seasoned with some lemon pepper and salt, and set to the side(baked at 325 for a half hour)
[Reply]
E.J. 05:05 PM 05-27-2012
The Little One wanted cheesy potatoes, so we diced up some white potatoes, threw in some red onion and butter, some seasoning and cooked for 45 minutes with the garlic and asparagus.

[Reply]
E.J. 05:05 PM 05-27-2012
Time to prepare the steak. Needed to salt it for 30 minutes. So like it looks, cover with salt, let sit for 30 minutes. Apparently this is good for drying out the outside to make the searing more effective. Apparently the dryer the better, helps making it juicy after or something like that....

After a half hour, salt in rinsed off, steak is patted dry and then I put on a good layer of pepper.(This ruined the steak for the Little One, should have known better.. :-) )
[Reply]
E.J. 05:06 PM 05-27-2012
Okay, garlic is done. Pulled it out, removed the cloves, good as gold. I love garlic, house smells fantastic.

Cheesy potatoes topped off(cheese added after cooking, then recovered).

Now more steak cooking.... The steak is seared for 45 seconds on each side on a HOT skillet....

Then thrown into the over, which is cooking at 500F right now.... Let cook in there for 4 minutes.
[Reply]
E.J. 05:06 PM 05-27-2012
Pull steak out of the oven, let it sit and rest for 10 minutes.

I sauteed some onions in butter with the roasted garlic, garlic was added late, as to not soften it too much.

Asparagus and potatoes are done.....

...and here is dinner, which was FANTASTIC by the way. Maybe the best steak I have ever cooked, no lie. I would have never thought I could cook a steak this good in the house, with a frying pan and oven... Who'd have thought....
[Reply]
Ogre 05:08 PM 05-27-2012
Looks like you were having some fun. Hope it taste as good as it looks.
[Reply]
T.G 05:19 PM 05-27-2012
Nice. :-)

Originally Posted by E.J.:
Time to prepare the steak. Needed to salt it for 30 minutes. So like it looks, cover with salt, let sit for 30 minutes. Apparently this is good for drying out the outside to make the searing more effective. Apparently the dryer the better, helps making it juicy after or something like that....
It's a bit more than just drying the outside, it's pulling the water out of the entire steak. Not exactly the same as dry aging since the enzymes aren't getting much time to work, but it helps the flavor considerably since water isn't something known for it's delectable flavor. Here's a good explanation of what's going on when you heavily salt and rest a steak:

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-...me-steaks.html
[Reply]
TJarv 05:32 PM 05-27-2012
Looks delicious
[Reply]
hammondc 05:50 PM 05-27-2012
Looks good bro! I use the same method for garlic. Actually, I just roll em up in foil and put them in a muffin pan. Spread it on bread....oh yeah!
[Reply]
E.J. 06:44 PM 05-27-2012
After dinner Trini Reyes & another glass of wine, it is a good day(evening). Weather even turned....
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:59 PM 05-27-2012
Your presentation looks excellent EJ:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:55 PM 05-27-2012
Looks like a great dinner EJ!! I hear the Food Network calling brother. :-)
[Reply]
Jasonw560 08:05 PM 05-27-2012
Looks fantastic. One thing we do with our asparagus is drizzle it with olive oil and dry italian seasoning mix, toss it, and grill it that way.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:08 PM 05-27-2012
Thanks for sharing your dinner prep with us! It looks great! :-)
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 10:33 PM 05-27-2012
greaaat pics! now im jonesin for a steak!!!
[Reply]
Up