Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Who Needs a Cutter when Ya Have a Toothpick??
Waynegro1 03:55 PM 12-05-2008
Curiosity is killing me, I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I don't think I'm gonna try it on an Opus though.:-):-)
Thanks for all the comments fellas.:-)
For some reason I find this very interesting. The strangest thing I've seen besides the old timer I mentioned is a coping saw. A friend of mine uses one when he's smoking in his garage.
To each his own:-)
[Reply]
M1903A1 04:42 PM 12-05-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
my first real cigars I smoked in Indonesia, we couldn't buy a cigar cutter at the airport (security issues), so we just poked a hole in the cap with a matchstick. This sounds about the same as the old man did.
Legend has it that that's precisely what Churchill did.
[Reply]
AriesOpusX 05:16 PM 12-05-2008
I've used a wooden match stick a few times when I was in my truck without a cutter/punch. Whatever works, I'm sure back in his day he didn't have a cutter so why bother now?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 07:17 PM 12-05-2008
A lot of cigars (not torps) I can get a clean opening just picking the cap off with my fingernail. I depends on if it had been cut clean before capping. I have a palio now, but for many years I only cut with my pocket knife, which I keep razor sharp.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 07:20 PM 12-05-2008
Often I've used a knife as a last resort, but now I have a cheap punch on my key chain so really it's quite rare i've got no way to open a smoke.
[Reply]
taltos 05:20 AM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
So, um, using a 5.56mm as a punch isn't a good idea??
You might get a real loose draw and that unmistakable cordite taste on the cap (beats a sweetened cap).
[Reply]
Cigary 11:17 AM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
It works great. Unless you slobber on the cigar and then the cap(s) end up in your mouth. (Same as a Punch).

Only downside is keeping your tongue from "exploring" the cap and gettin it all soggy. Maybe it's just me.. but anthing other than a cut causes "curious tongue". :-)

For sure on this. I have tried other means like a toothpick, nails, small screwdrivers for eyeglasses, and I found myself tearing at the small hole with my tongue and ripping it open by the time I got half way thru the cigar. I cut it with my v cut or xicar now.
[Reply]
Cigary 11:29 AM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
shell casings make great punches. Use the reamer on your Leatherman or Gerber to sharpen the inside and you are golden for a while.
Diff calibers for diff smokes.

loaded ammo.... not so much. Unless you want to punch a bad guys smoke.
whauah?
Attached: thanksfortheinput.jpg (19.3 KB) 
[Reply]
replicant_argent 11:41 AM 12-06-2008
Originally Posted by tobii3:
So, um, using a 5.56mm as a punch isn't a good idea??
Originally Posted by Cigary:
whauah?
For reference, if you needed it... :-):-)
[Reply]
Tikihut27 10:07 PM 12-06-2008
Matches
Toothpicks
Bic pens
Car keys
Coat hangers
Pocketknives
Electrical wire
Nails

The smoke don't care how expensive your punch is, and neither do I.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 05:55 AM 12-07-2008
Ask Ragin Cajun about his cigar tool. He's got a cool one.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up