Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>2005-2009 Acura RL- Any BOTL own one?
Dukeuni 08:36 AM 05-23-2012
I am looking into gettting a "new-to-me" car. After a lot of research, I think I have settled on the Acural RL, from 2005 (new body style), to 2009 (can't afford anything past that).

Have any of your owned owned one of these? What are your thoughts?

The big things for me are the following: all-wheel drive, understated luxury (I work in a elected position, no way I can be driving a BMW or Benz), and reliability.
[Reply]
longknocker 09:10 AM 05-23-2012
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:
I am looking into gettting a "new-to-me" car. After a lot of research, I think I have settled on the Acural RL, from 2005 (new body style), to 2009 (can't afford anything past that).

Have any of your owned owned one of these? What are your thoughts?

The big things for me are the following: all-wheel drive, understated luxury (I work in a elected position, no way I can be driving a BMW or Benz), and reliability.
I Have A 2010 Acura MDX & Love It!:-) Great Customer Service & Only Thing I Have Replaced Is The Battery Under Warranty. Fun To Drive. 16mpg Town & 20 Hwy.:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:21 AM 05-23-2012
My friend owned one for a few years. I am the one who convinced him to buy one. A co-worker had bought a new one I was impressed with the technology it had. At the time I had an S2000 was sold on Honda's performance.

The RL is a heck of a car that handles awesome and seems well put together. A little light on power, but has enough confidence to push deeper & harder into corners to make up for the power difference. He traded it in for an Infiniti M56 and I thought that was a stupid trade.

Actually, another friend has a Maserati Qporte and it reminded me of the RL in terms of steering and feel. Obviously the engines and interior are far apart, but that says a lot for the RL.
[Reply]
Dukeuni 04:51 PM 05-25-2012
Bump- any other BOTL own a RL or have any thoughts?
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 05:00 PM 05-25-2012
I don't/haven't owned one but have spent a lot of time driving them.
Background on that is that I work for an automotive service equipment manufacturer and I do all of the vehicle application testing, so I drive everything and get a chance to compare a lot of different vehicles.
Personally, I don't think the RL offers anything more than a TL SH-AWD.
The size and amenities of both are identical or very close to it.
For the cost difference you may be able to land a new TL.

Acuras in general are a solid vehicle. I don't recommend many luxury type vehicles, but I would an Acura.
If you want to bend my ear, shoot me a PM as I am not on regularly anymore.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:18 AM 05-26-2012
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
Personally, I don't think the RL offers anything more than a TL SH-AWD.
I bet he is right on with this and the TL may be even faster. That model was not a choice when my friend and co-worker bought their car. If the that TL comes in a manual that would be amazing.

Honda makes the best manual gearbox of any car made, bar none, IMO! If more manufacturers could make them as nice there would be a lot more sticks on the road.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:08 AM 05-26-2012
I have an 05 TSX Six spd. Been a solid car for the past 2 years. No issues or problems. :-)
[Reply]
RWhisenand 11:17 AM 05-26-2012
When we were looking for a car with a back seat for the little one we looked hard at the Acura, BMW 3 series and the Merc C class. In the end we choose a Lexus IS350. I would have picked the Acura second it was a very nice car, and I love Honda's reliability. Hard to go against Honda or Toyota, IMO.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 11:39 AM 05-26-2012
i have an 08 TL type s. it has the TL body but the RL drive train in it. very nice car.
[Reply]
Dukeuni 09:01 AM 06-18-2012
UPDATE:

I just picked-up my 2005 Acura RL. I think I ended-up getting a good deal overall. Car has around 76,000 miles, and had a local owner with local service done. Before purchasing the car I took it to a local Acura dealership (the car was being sold by a Chevrolet dealership) for a pre-purchase inspection. Not only did the car pass with flying colors, but I was also informed that the Acura dealership had been doing the maintenance and service on that car for the past 30,000 miles- so I not have a complete service history.

Love the car so far, just trying to get used to all of the technology features.

thanks again for all of your help!
[Reply]
GTsetGO 09:07 AM 06-18-2012
nice grab bro.

too bad you couldn't get the certified pre-owned stuff with it being sold at a chevy dealer.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:34 AM 06-18-2012
That car is overly ripe with technology features and their AWD is one of the best (IMO). It's going you take a you a while before you master all the techno gizmos that car has!

Good luck and enjoy it!
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 06:31 PM 06-18-2012
UPDATE:

I just picked-up my 2005 Acura RL. I think I ended-up getting a good deal overall. Car has around 76,000 miles, and had a local owner with local service done. Before purchasing the car I took it to a local Acura dealership (the car was being sold by a Chevrolet dealership) for a pre-purchase inspection. Not only did the car pass with flying colors, but I was also informed that the Acura dealership had been doing the maintenance and service on that car for the past 30,000 miles- so I not have a complete service history.

thanks again for all of your help!
Glad you found one you like!
Sounds like a solid pick-up... Congrats!
[Reply]
Up