Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>That was close.
pektel 09:39 PM 03-29-2012
Back story: I drive a Lincoln LS. Notorious for coil-on-plug failures. Anyways, the car starts misfiring something terrible a couple days ago, and I think it's just another coil or 2 on the way out. I figured I'd drive it until the check engine light comes on, so it would tell me which cylinder is misfiring, thus making it really easy to find the right one to change. I stop at the gas station for something to drink, and when I get out, the damn car almost sounds like a diesel with a knock! I pop the hood, and hear it coming from the front drivers side of the engine, right where the timing chains are located. Awesome.

Drove it straight to my mechanic, and let him know my diagnosis. I also ordered a new secondary timing chain tensioner (a somewhat common problem with higher mileage cars of the same year/model) and a new valve cover gasket set, just to be safe.

Picked up parts this morning to the tune of $200. Can't believe a little spring loaded piece made out of PLASTIC and a damn gasket set could be $200, but that's neither here not there. Cheaper than a car payment (just got the car paid off last month).

My mechanic called me once he had it torn down. The old tensioner almost fell apart in his hands while he was removing it. I was within a mile or 2 from jumping time. The engine is an interference engine, meaning valves hit heads if it jumps time. :-)

Escaped by the skin of my teeth! $630 out the door, and she's back on the road. Damn close call!

Now, out for a smoke :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
oooo35980 09:43 PM 03-29-2012
Grants on getting out of that for only 630 bucks, would a been a bummer if you'd had to do a rebuild that soon after paying it off.
[Reply]
Ogre 09:45 PM 03-29-2012
Damn, you got lucky. I dont even want to know the repair cost if you started to bend valves.
[Reply]
pektel 09:49 PM 03-29-2012
If it wouldve jumped time, it would have been cheaper to just buy a different engine, Larry. And that would've SUCKED.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:25 AM 03-30-2012
Glad it worked out, Peter!:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:21 AM 03-30-2012
Cars are like women- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!
[Reply]
shilala 08:22 AM 03-30-2012
That's definately a bonus. I'm at the end of my car issues and it feels GOOD. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 08:30 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
Back story: I drive a Lincoln LS. Notorious for coil-on-plug failures. Anyways, the car starts misfiring something terrible a couple days ago, and I think it's just another coil or 2 on the way out. I figured I'd drive it until the check engine light comes on, so it would tell me which cylinder is misfiring, thus making it really easy to find the right one to change. I stop at the gas station for something to drink, and when I get out, the damn car almost sounds like a diesel with a knock! I pop the hood, and hear it coming from the front drivers side of the engine, right where the timing chains are located. Awesome.

Drove it straight to my mechanic, and let him know my diagnosis. I also ordered a new secondary timing chain tensioner (a somewhat common problem with higher mileage cars of the same year/model) and a new valve cover gasket set, just to be safe.

Picked up parts this morning to the tune of $200. Can't believe a little spring loaded piece made out of PLASTIC and a damn gasket set could be $200, but that's neither here not there. Cheaper than a car payment (just got the car paid off last month).

My mechanic called me once he had it torn down. The old tensioner almost fell apart in his hands while he was removing it. I was within a mile or 2 from jumping time. The engine is an interference engine, meaning valves hit heads if it jumps time. :-)

Escaped by the skin of my teeth! $630 out the door, and she's back on the road. Damn close call!

Now, out for a smoke :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats what insurance is for. To buy you a new car when your engine blows.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 08:37 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Thats what insurance is for. To buy you a new car when your engine blows.
Unless you're emotionally attached to the car. My dad has spent 10's of thousands of dollars on his car. He could have easily bought a new vehicle for what he's spent in 2 garage visits. He just loves that car.

You can't replace memories!
[Reply]
smitty81 08:50 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
Unless you're emotionally attached to the car. My dad has spent 10's of thousands of dollars on his car. He could have easily bought a new vehicle for what he's spent in 2 garage visits. He just loves that car.

You can't replace memories!
True. I guess I was just refering to the average car.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 08:50 AM 03-30-2012
Whoa, what kind of insurance do you have that it's covered if the engine goes down... I want it.

Nice catch, Peter.
[Reply]
pektel 09:21 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Mattso3000:
Whoa, what kind of insurance do you have that it's covered if the engine goes down... I want it.

Nice catch, Peter.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't know of any insurance policy that covers catastrophic engine failure. I have a very nice full coverage policy, and it doesn't cover mechanical stuff. Maybe he's referring to a warranty?

And thanks. I was very relieved that I caught it in time!
[Reply]
shark 12:45 PM 03-31-2012
I had a timing belt go on a Ford once, while I was out on vacation in Northern Michigan. When I say northern MI, I mean I was out in the boonies, where I was lucky to have a cell phone signal, let alone access to a mechanic! Anyways, I was driving along when the engine just quit. I popped the hood and checked what I could, but to no avail. So, I call AAA and was told it would be 2.5 hours for a tow truck to arrive...Anyways, I figured it was a timing belt when I was cranking it over and heard kind of a clunking sound, then it began cranking a lot faster. Long story short, I was stranded in Newberry, MI for a weekend until the mechanic came back on Mon. to fix it, and the hotel I was staying at was in St. Ignace, a good hour or more away...the Best Western was nice enough to not charge me for the nights I wasn't there, which was nice, and the repair only cost me about 300 bucks, and the car kept going until 140,000 miles, when the head gasket went and I decided to just get rid of it and buy another.
[Reply]
jluck 12:51 PM 03-31-2012
Glad it worked out decent for you! And a big cyber high five for not having car payments! :-)
[Reply]
pektel 02:07 AM 04-01-2012
Thanks, jluck! That is exactly my point when others try to get me to buy a different car!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Up