Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Winter Humidor Humidity?
Good_Stogies_Mon 02:08 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Heliofire:
Thanks for the input, yeah I always use distilled water on the beads. What's funny and not a winter only related observation, is that I bought the 70% humidity beads but they have alway read around 68% and I know my hygrometers are correct. which is fine with me I would rather have the humidity around 68%. Anyone have that kind of experience with there beads?
This is interesting, my 65% beads from hearthelt keep my vinotemp about 68% and I keep them pretty dry. I have always wondered if i actually got 70% beads by mistake?
[Reply]
s15driftking 02:50 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Good_Stogies_Mon:
This is interesting, my 65% beads from hearthelt keep my vinotemp about 68% and I keep them pretty dry. I have always wondered if i actually got 70% beads by mistake?
trade me for my 655!!!!!
[Reply]
goalie204 05:43 AM 12-08-2008
my beads are on the way in the mail, but my humi was 58-59 before i ordered them and was using 2 humidification devices. My ambient humidity of my condo is 20% :-)

Currently i am re-seasoning my humidor because i dont think it got properly stabilized during initial seasoning because of cold/dry winter weather, and my sticks are in tupperware, hope when my puckifier comes it will save the day. Thanks to all who have helped me.

I'm considering puttin the humidor and the room humidifier in a closet in one of my non leaky rooms of my condo to try and help it out. Anyone tried this or have advice, please PM or reply, thanks
[Reply]
Heliofire 08:14 AM 12-08-2008
Another thing that is funny is seeing the change in humidity from the top of my cabinet to the bottom. I have a 6ft tall cabinet and the bottom right now is reading 71% and the top one is reading 65%. Both hygrometers were checked last week for accuracy and both are reading perfect. I have 1lb of beads at the top, 2lbs around the middle, and another 1.5lbs of beads at the bottom plus a cigar oasis XL plus. Here is a really crappy photo of my cabinet.

[Reply]
tsolomon 08:24 AM 12-08-2008
My cooler did drop a little, but with a pound of beads and additional water that was easliy corrected. My 3 humidors have all dropped from around 63-65% to just under 58-60% and I have been adding water almost everyday trying to get the RH back up. I moved the humidors from the basement to the bedroom where the RH is a little higher. I'm thinking of switching to 70% beads for the winter if I can't get them stabilized above 60%. :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:42 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I'm thinking of switching to 70% beads for the winter if I can't get them stabilized above 60%. :-)

my thoughts exactly
[Reply]
awsmith4 08:51 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
my thoughts exactly
If you can't get them stabilized it most likely has to do with the seal on the humi, or you open it too often. I live within 20 min of the OP and have no problems with the humis with Heartfelt of Shilala beads.
[Reply]
goalie204 09:03 AM 12-08-2008
if the ambient humidity of my condo is a shitty 20% ,and the RH in my
humidor was 55-58% how ...can my cigars possibly have gotten moist, i'm baffled

Re-seasoning it now for 14 days like i said, and wiating for 65% puck
[Reply]
s15driftking 09:18 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
If you can't get them stabilized it most likely has to do with the seal on the humi, .

idoubt it

only did its normal one degree fluctuation over the period of 14-15 hours...

gotta be the winter weather!

that beyotch was sealed!
[Reply]
tedrodgerscpa 09:22 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by Heliofire:
Another thing that is funny is seeing the change in humidity from the top of my cabinet to the bottom. I have a 6ft tall cabinet and the bottom right now is reading 71% and the top one is reading 65%. Both hygrometers were checked last week for accuracy and both are reading perfect. I have 1lb of beads at the top, 2lbs around the middle, and another 1.5lbs of beads at the bottom plus a cigar oasis XL plus. Here is a really crappy photo of my cabinet.

Just an observation, but you've got a lot of space in your humi as it's pictured above. It's much more difficult to regulate empty air.

Have you considered going down to your local B&M and picking up some empty boxes? Most B&Ms that I frequent will give away boxes to their regulars.

At any rate, having less space, especially during the low RH months, may help you out a bit. It wont' be as pretty as it was (or maybe it will, depending on your box selection.

Just a suggestion... do with it as you will.

P.S. Like many others who have posted in the thread, I do have to water with greater regularity in the winter time, too... for the summer months, I don't recharge at all. Ever... During the winter, it's once or twice a week, depending on how often I go into my humi.
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:28 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
If you can't get them stabilized it most likely has to do with the seal on the humi, or you open it too often. I live within 20 min of the OP and have no problems with the humis with Heartfelt of Shilala beads.
I'm going with option #2, you open it too often. :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:02 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I'm going with option #2, you open it too often. :-)
yes, i'll jsut have to be more finnicky with it this time of year!!
[Reply]
Whee 10:52 AM 12-08-2008
Definitley drier here in northern illinois this time of year. My desktops, tend to trend lower because i do like to look. My coolers stay pretty consistent, mid 60s with my heartfelt 65%'s. I don;t open the coolers much.

In the summer, I don't charge the beads much at all. The air definitely sucks the water out of everything.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 01:26 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
idoubt it

only did its normal one degree fluctuation over the period of 14-15 hours...

gotta be the winter weather!

that beyotch was sealed!
LOL!

I have the same humi with a little over 1lb of 65% heartfelt beads. I haven't charged the beads in mine for over 8 weeks. I have two hygro's and the RH hovers around 66% all the time. The top shelf is about 1-2* higher.

I have my in the bottom of a closet to prevent the temp from rising with the heat on in the winter. It stays about 60* in there.

The only other thing I've done is to seal the area around the analog hygro to prevent leaks.
[Reply]
s15driftking 06:13 PM 12-08-2008
yeah, i did that too, i used silicone!
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 06:26 PM 12-08-2008
Ive got a vino with 65% beads from heartfelt that I keep in my basement and it stays at 69%, go figure. When I used my desktop I had to refill the beads once every week when I lived in a dorm room.
[Reply]
Heliofire 06:38 PM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
Just an observation, but you've got a lot of space in your humi as it's pictured above. It's much more difficult to regulate empty air.

Have you considered going down to your local B&M and picking up some empty boxes? Most B&Ms that I frequent will give away boxes to their regulars.

At any rate, having less space, especially during the low RH months, may help you out a bit. It wont' be as pretty as it was (or maybe it will, depending on your box selection.

Just a suggestion... do with it as you will.

P.S. Like many others who have posted in the thread, I do have to water with greater regularity in the winter time, too... for the summer months, I don't recharge at all. Ever... During the winter, it's once or twice a week, depending on how often I go into my humi.
I have tried to convince my wife that I need more cigars to help regulate the humidity before but maybe now your post will lend some more weight to my argument.:-):-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up