Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Spills
Doctorossi 01:05 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
The company that makes them also does customization.
Of what?
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 01:10 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
Of what?
The cedar spills, they can print words and logos on the "handle" section of the spill.
[Reply]
ktblunden 02:15 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
The cedar spills, they can print words and logos on the "handle" section of the spill.
That seems like a lot of trouble to go through on something you're going to light on fire in order to light something else on fire. I'll use them when they're free in a box or wrapped around a cigar, but I wouldn't ever actually pay for them.
[Reply]
xFreebirdx 02:53 PM 03-06-2012
Could be a cheaper alternative to having her light them. :-)

[Reply]
schollianmj 02:57 PM 03-06-2012
I read here a few weeks ago about someone using the wooden coffee stirrers as a spill. I tried it and while it worked, it was just not efficient. give me a nice torch lighter and I'm set.
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:58 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
Here I was thinking it might be some kind of bib to keep ash spills off your clothing.

Had me all excited.

I see a group buy in the near future!!!:-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 02:58 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by ktblunden:
That seems like a lot of trouble to go through on something you're going to light on fire in order to light something else on fire. I'll use them when they're free in a box or wrapped around a cigar, but I wouldn't ever actually pay for them.
Agreed, if I had a high end type of private lounge, I might order some with the name printed on them for members to use.
[Reply]
kuzi16 02:59 PM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I seldom use a spill, but have on occassion. The last couple of times have been with an Anejo, using the cedar the cigar was wrapped in.
thats how i light all my cigars that come with cedar on them.

on occasion i have had the opportunity to do so on other cigars. i like lighting that way but i have a hard time paying good money for the spills. matches seem to work if you have the need to light off of wood. i usually light with a soft flame lighter and that is almost identical to a cedar spill.
[Reply]
kickerb 03:01 PM 03-06-2012
I have a solo cup full of cedar strips for lighting. I mean because you can usually score some cedar from cigar boxes, i would never pay for spills.
[Reply]
Bigjoefo 09:30 AM 04-25-2013
I always use a spill if available. When I first started smoking cigars I was immediately turned off by the taste of butane for the first quarter of the cigar. Once you get in the habit it takes only a few more seconds than a butane lighter. I'm not one of those guys will tell you I taste nutmeg or cinnamon in a cigar, but I can taste butane and sulfur. I would very much like to have something to carry around spills, maybe attach to my travel humidor or something.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 03:22 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Bigjoefo:
I always use a spill if available. When I first started smoking cigars I was immediately turned off by the taste of butane for the first quarter of the cigar. Once you get in the habit it takes only a few more seconds than a butane lighter. I'm not one of those guys will tell you I taste nutmeg or cinnamon in a cigar, but I can taste butane and sulfur. I would very much like to have something to carry around spills, maybe attach to my travel humidor or something.
Interesting since butane is totally odorless and tasteless.
[Reply]
icehog3 05:58 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Bigjoefo:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Interesting since butane is totally odorless and tasteless.
You are correct, Chutney. :-)

He likely is thinking of Naphtha, which they make lighter fluid (zippo type), which is a a distillation product from petroleum and does have odor and flavor.
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 09:46 AM 04-27-2013
Don't know what your friend charges, but at the prices I've seen for some of them, you might as well use dollar bills to light your cigars.
[Reply]
mk05 08:19 AM 05-01-2013
I believe cedar inserts for boxes are first compressed, then run through so much acid and bleach that it is hardly wood anymore. Then I see people lighting up their cigars with it.

The "better" taste people associate with cedar spill as opposed to say, butane, is probably attributed to temperature. Butane combusts at a very high temperature around 2000F-3500F, much higher than say, a match at around 1300F. Butane completely incinerates anything it comes in contact with, whereas matches and other lighting mechanism - this might be extremely broscience, but I prefer matches - tends to allow the hygroscopic organic compound (tobacco) to burn at a lower temperature, release more flavor and scents.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up