Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Illusione Epernay Petite
cigarmonkel 08:11 PM 02-20-2012
This cigar feels very firm and a good weight for about its size. I'm pairing it with yet another glass of Knob Creek on the rocks. Prelight i got hints of cream and a small bit of woody flavors.
[IMG]Image[/IMG]

First few puffs: I'm getting quite a bit of cream with slight undertones of leather and very subtle hints of spices. It leaves a lingering tingle on my tongue and the smoke is fairly thick; burn is flawless from the get-go.

1/3 mark: By now the cream has toned down a bit to make way for the leather tones to shine a bit. On a side note, it just ashed itself and luckily literally 30 seconds before that i had just moved the ash tray into my lap, winning! The balance between the cream leather and spice is very nice, not exactly my personal cup of tea but the flavors do nothing but compliment each other in harmony instead of fighting for the top spot.

-Side note: The knob creek is a great pairing with this. I've let the ice melt a little bit, at first the knob creek over powered this cigar but with added water from the melted ice, its mellowed the knob creek out a bit and on my pallet it pulls a little more creamyness from the cigar. Perfect!
[IMG]Image[/IMG]

half way mark: still tones of cream and leather. The spices have dropped back a bit in flavor and are more undertones at this point. The knob creek is still treating me and the cigar well and vise versa.
[IMG]Image[/IMG]

final 1/3: By now the cigar is starting to get bitter with cream and undertones of leather. a quick purge and sip of my friend mr. knob fixes that though and now its leather with hints of vanilla and spices. This combo is a killer and i am trying to savor this as much as i can.
[IMG]Image[/IMG]

Nub: The cigar is definitely starting to mellow out very quickly and even with the watered down knob creek, and i must quote the late kernal sanders "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken". The initial taste is there but very quickly fades from my pallet. I tip my hat to you Illusione for providing me with yet another great cigar, and a reminder as to why my vinotemp must have at least a couple in it at all times!
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:25 PM 02-20-2012
Thanks for the nice review! This is one of my favorite sticks.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:26 PM 02-20-2012
the Epernay line is one of my favorites. I need to pick some up to put away.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:10 AM 02-21-2012
Definitely one of my favorite NC cigars at this point...thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:09 AM 02-21-2012
These are currently one of my favorites. Thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
chand 06:18 AM 02-21-2012
One of my favorites! Thanks for the review and a great pairing recommendation that I have not tried.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 05:10 PM 02-21-2012
IMO the most consistent smoke, always know what I'm getting when I light this up. Easily top nc cigar for me.
[Reply]
Taki 05:25 PM 02-21-2012
Nice review brother...I always enjoy an Epernay :-)
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:09 PM 02-21-2012
I tend to forget how good the Epernay's are!
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 07:57 PM 02-21-2012
I as well forgot how good illusiones are. Luckily I knew I loved them so I picked up a few, a grande epernay and a something 12. Mj12? I believe?
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:31 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel:
I as well forgot how good illusiones are. Luckily I knew I loved them so I picked up a few, a grande epernay and a something 12. Mj12? I believe?
Ah, I love the MJ12! That and the cg4 are probably my two favorites in the regular Illusione lineup.
[Reply]
Taki 06:33 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
Ah, I love the MJ12! That and the cg4 are probably my two favorites in the regular Illusione lineup.
Agreed brother :-) Still waiting to try the MJ12 Maduro though :-)
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 08:46 PM 02-22-2012
I've got a mj12 sitting next to me waiting to be burned tomorrow!
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:23 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by Taki:
Agreed brother :-) Still waiting to try the MJ12 Maduro though :-)
I was fortunate to grab a Maduro MJ12. Think regular MJ12 but with more chocolate and coffee flavors. It was pretty awesome! :-)
[Reply]
Volusianator 09:33 PM 02-23-2012
How come the page in the book didn't change in the last two pictures?
[Reply]
cigarmonkel 09:44 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
How come the page in the book didn't change in the last two pictures?
Haha cause I was procrastinating
[Reply]
never_enough 10:32 PM 02-23-2012
Thanks for the review. I really enjoy the epernays too. Need to pick up some more.
[Reply]
Up