Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>A boy and his bow
MrClean 03:35 PM 02-18-2012
My son decided he wanted to try shooting a bow and used his allowance that he's saving to buy one.
He was checking them out online and found a kids compound bow that he liked. We went to Bass Pro today and realized that the one he was checking out was actually for a kid half his age, Josh will be 13 this summer. Well, he couldn't afford a compound bow and I wasn't dropping that much money on a first time bow. The sales guy showed us a good starter bow (recurve) and told Josh if he could learn to shoot with a recurve, he would be good shooting any bow later on.
Josh had saved about hundred dollars and the bow was $109. By the time he got arrows, field tips, arm guard and finger guard, it was a little over $200.
Normally I'm not a sucker for my kids and won't buy them just anything, but the excitement I saw on his face about this, which for him is rare, I had to fork over the money. :-) He's not into sports at all and doesn't have any real hobbies. I like to hunt, but he is a real animal lover and may never hunt, which is a shame cause the kid is a darn good shot, both with the bow and a rifle (he's only shot the .22 but loves knocking the cans down with it).
He had a blast this afternoon shooting his bow. His mechanics need some work, but that will come with practice. I caught a few good pics of him shooting a series........
Josh by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 03:39 PM 02-18-2012
That's outstanding. Little guy is having the time of his life...
[Reply]
fencefixer 03:42 PM 02-18-2012
Proud DAD moment right there.. HELL YEAH!!!! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:43 PM 02-18-2012
Good stuff right there. :-) :-)
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 03:43 PM 02-18-2012
that is awesome man i cannot wait till my kids are old enough for them to take interest in out door stuff
[Reply]
MrClean 03:47 PM 02-18-2012
Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited for him, I'm hoping that he'll really get into it and want to continue to enjoy it. Like I said, he doesn't have a lot of hobbies and I'll encourage anything that gets him outside. This is something we can enjoy together.
[Reply]
Cigarcop 03:47 PM 02-18-2012
Good for you Jeff and your son....Trust me it will get a bit more expensive, my son started shooting at 6.

Great pictures also :-)
[Reply]
tengel78 03:59 PM 02-18-2012
Awesome! Good to see a kid that will get outside.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:01 PM 02-18-2012
That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing!!
[Reply]
G G 04:14 PM 02-18-2012
Awesome Jeff, glad you shared it.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 04:38 PM 02-18-2012
That's awesome. I wish I had gotten into shooting a bow when I was a kid. I bought my first bow last year and I really need a lot of work to get anywhere near being a good shot. I love it though. Looks like he's having a good time.
[Reply]
celtic250 06:07 PM 02-18-2012
That's awesome! That is around the same time I got my bow and now love the sport. I thank my dad now for allowing me to start back then and I understand how excited he is right now. Whether he hunts or just shooting for fun he will have a great time in the years to come. Brings me back 11 years to when I was that age :-)
[Reply]
irratebass 06:11 PM 02-18-2012
Awesome story and great pics Jeff, especially that last shot, very nice :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 06:56 PM 02-18-2012
Thanks for sharing Jeff and great pics! Priceless!
[Reply]
deadrise 07:03 PM 02-18-2012
that's cool Jeff very nice father son time
[Reply]
Steve 08:17 PM 02-18-2012
:-):-)

Very nice!
[Reply]
Up