Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>The X cut
BSB 07:34 AM 02-12-2012
Tried something new last night and was very pleased. Got a 5er of 10 Boli CJ, they were plenty strong. The sender suggested using an X cut on the cigar. Take an exacto knife, or something razor shrp, and just cut an X in the head of the cigar. Much smoother that way, he says. He was right and I was surprised how well it smoked. Perfect burn and draw.
Anybody else use this technique? I'll be trying it on other "strong" cigars. What's the worst that can happen, gotta clip it after I start smoking? No big deal :-)
[Reply]
BSB 07:38 AM 02-12-2012
I've just been informed, he only uses this technique on the shortest of cigars, TPC ect. Tar build up can be a problem on larger. Well, there you go. Guess I won't be trying it on any "larger" strong cigars :-) :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:43 AM 02-12-2012
Look at this cutter Bob....
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...&cat=13&page=3
[Reply]
fencefixer 07:46 AM 02-12-2012
From what I understand, the "Shuriken" cutter pretty much does the same concept:

I'm very intrigued by the design, however I can't attest for it. Some love it, some hate it, I'm waiting until I find one dirt cheap. However I'm going to try using a razor blade, as you described, this evening on one of my lancero cigars.
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:50 AM 02-12-2012
Bob try it on the larger cigars and report back. Maybe you'll discover something enjoyable.
[Reply]
cjhalbrooks 07:55 AM 02-12-2012
i am going to try it but with a cheepy. Also has anyone tried the V cut? Just wondering
[Reply]
BSB 08:15 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Holy crap! $30 :-) I just used a very small Swiss army knife.
Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks:
i am going to try it but with a cheepy. Also has anyone tried the V cut? Just wondering
V-cut is nice on certain cigars. Hard to find a really good v-cutter, outside of cigar shops, where they have the table-top model.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 08:54 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
V-cut is nice on certain cigars. Hard to find a really good v-cutter, outside of cigar shops, where they have the table-top model.
Xikar has a great v-cutter, I tend to use it more on smaller smokes.
[Reply]
68TriShield 10:08 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by BSB:
Holy crap! $30 :-) I just used a very small Swiss army knife.
Oh I know it's a crazy price,interesting concept though.
[Reply]
DMK 11:43 AM 02-12-2012
I have a teeny tiny gauge v cutter for small gauge cigars that I love and a larger one the I use from time to time on larger gauge sticks. I may have to cut an X with the larger one on a stick to try.
[Reply]
backwoods357 03:59 PM 02-12-2012
Darryl I don't think he is removing any tobacco like a V cutter does. I could be wrong but my understanding is he is just making an X shaped cut across the cap.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:02 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I was sent one from a good BOTL here to try. I do not recommend them.
[Reply]
BSB 04:07 PM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I was sent one from a good BOTL here to try. I do not recommend them.
Well, there ya go then. Thanks for the warning, I wasn't gonna spend the $30 anyways :-)
[Reply]
Up