Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Noobie.. How can I tell if my humidifer works?
paul incaundo 02:15 PM 02-10-2012
I bought my first humidor, which is a 10 cigar travel humidor. It doesn't have a hygrometer, and I have a tiny humidifier. My cigars have only been in there for about 3 days, and they still smell fresh, but I don't really know how to tell if they're fresh or if the humidifer is working.

Is there any sort of a test or any way i can tell if it's working? I just feel uneasy without being able to visually see that its doing its job. I soaked it in a bag of distilled water for 3 minutes, and then put it in the humidor for an hour, then put all my cigars in the humidor.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 02:20 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by paul incaundo:
I bought my first humidor, which is a 10 cigar travel humidor. It doesn't have a hygrometer, and I have a tiny humidifier. My cigars have only been in there for about 3 days, and they still smell fresh, but I don't really know how to tell if they're fresh or if the humidifer is working.

Is there any sort of a test or any way i can tell if it's working? I just feel uneasy without being able to visually see that its doing its job. I soaked it in a bag of distilled water for 3 minutes, and then put it in the humidor for an hour, then put all my cigars in the humidor.
That is what the hygro is for; Little Havana makes one about the size of a petite corona.
:-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 02:23 PM 02-10-2012
You can pick up a hygrometer pretty cheaply. You can take out the cigars and throw in the hygrometer if its too small to just leave one in there. Check the humidity that way. Other than that you'd have to leave some cigars in there for a while and see if they get too dry or too wet or if mold starts to grow. I wouldn't recommend that way though.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:25 PM 02-10-2012
Did you season the travel humidor before hand? (unless it doesn't need to be seasoned)

If you slightly pinch the cigar is should be slightly springy, but nor mushy. Another way to tell is to smoke one. It they smoke fast and hot, they are too dry. If they go out constantly, there is too much humidity.
[Reply]
paul incaundo 02:36 PM 02-10-2012
I guess I'll go try and pick up a cheap hygrometer. My humidor was 40, and all the hygrometers i've seen are 20. I shouldve just gotten a 60 dollar desktop humidor with a built in hygrometer.
It hasnt been seasoned. The inside is lined with foam and leather, so I'm not sure about if it needs to be. I'm thinking of just selling this one and buying a desktop humidor. Kind of a mistake buying this instead of a real cedar one.
[Reply]
jluck 02:43 PM 02-10-2012
I would.....sell that 10'er buy something bigger to your budget (buy as large as possible)(sell a body organ if necessary).

Get a digital and adjustable hygrometer. you should be able to get one for the cost of one good cigar. thats reason enough to protect them IMO.

Get RH beads from cigarnut.

Start buying and smoking like mad with out ever worrying about hydration again.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:44 PM 02-10-2012
If the cigars are smoking OK then the humidity is OK. If they seem dry and burn too quickly then you need more humidity. If they seem wet then you need less humidity.

Hygrometers and beads and all that stuff are great, but in a small humidor you don't really have the room and probably don't need anything.

BTW, it can take weeks for cigars to react to changes in humidity in your humidor. Cigars are much more resiliant than most people give them credit for.

Don't over think it, just enjoy your cigars.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:47 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by paul incaundo:
I guess I'll go try and pick up a cheap hygrometer. My humidor was 40, and all the hygrometers i've seen are 20. I shouldve just gotten a 60 dollar desktop humidor with a built in hygrometer.
It hasnt been seasoned. The inside is lined with foam and leather, so I'm not sure about if it needs to be. I'm thinking of just selling this one and buying a desktop humidor. Kind of a mistake buying this instead of a real cedar one.
You will probably find that you'll use the 10 count travel humidor in the future, so no money wasted there. And if you went with a $60 humidor with a hygrometer, you'd find that the hygrometer is probably worthless and have to buy a digital one anyways. :-)

Welcome to the slippery slope.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 04:48 PM 02-10-2012
Are you planning on buying more cigars? How many cigars do you have right now? If it's less than 25... DO THIS!

From what you said, it has seem you bought a POS humidor, correct?

Instead of buying a new humidor. Why not start out simple and use a tupperware with a good seal (assuming you are new into cigars and don't have very many sticks), use that and throw in a couple Boveda Humidity packs (72*).

Stick around the forums and read some more about humidors and hygrometers. Stick to this for now, it's hands down the easiest and will cost you little money. :-)
[Reply]
DennisP 04:57 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Instead of buying a new humidor. Why not start out simple and use a tupperware with a good seal (assuming you are new into cigars and don't have very many sticks), use that and throw in a couple Boveda Humidity packs (72*).
Huy's not right about much, but he's right about this. When I used to overflow my desktops I'd use tupperware until a new humi arrived. Although I'd go with a lower Boveda pack if avail (think they have one below 70).
[Reply]
pnoon 05:04 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by DennisP:
Huy's not right about much, but he's right about this. When I used to overflow my desktops I'd use tupperware until a new humi arrived. Although I'd go with a lower Boveda pack if avail (think they have one below 70).
Actually, Huy is very knowledgeable and many here respect his opinion.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 05:07 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Suck on that Dennis! :-) Hahaha
[Reply]
T.G 05:41 PM 02-10-2012
Huy who?
[Reply]
DennisP 05:59 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
Suck on that Dennis! :-) Hahaha
I guess my sarcasm wasn't as obvious as I thought.
[Reply]
numismaniac 11:11 AM 02-13-2012
Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, but here is a cheap hygrometer combined in with a weather station. Got this tip from a member on another forum. I believe in helping everyone get smarter. I plan on ordering one, he says salt tested good at 75%, maybe he got lucky, don't know if you can calibrate, just account for the difference once properly salt tested, if not. He said his has been working well for a few months with original batteries. Makes you wonder how they can sell them that low.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380383641079...84.m1423.l2649
$5 free shipping

[Reply]
Up