Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Any HVAC guys out there?
T.G 02:27 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Yes, it's a 311AAV. I've tried using google to help me find a resource for determining the code, but I haven't turned up anything other than generic stuff about the model having a self diagnostic feature. I just haven't found anything that comes up with what the sequence means.

Just curious-if it's the ignitor, is there any possible noise associated with it going bad? Just wondering if there's an explanation for the noise it was giving. It was kind of a squealing noise of sorts, not a real high pitch or very loud, but just one you recognize shouldn't be there.
Hot surface ignitors themselves do not make any noise when operating or failed.

I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the video, but such is the nature of a cellphone video posted to youtube.

Are there any diagrams or placards on the inside or outside of the access doors that list the blink codes?
[Reply]
forgop 03:51 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Hot surface ignitors themselves do not make any noise when operating or failed.

I couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the video, but such is the nature of a cellphone video posted to youtube.

Are there any diagrams or placards on the inside or outside of the access doors that list the blink codes?
The noise was only heard while the unit was actually producing heat, so you won't hear it in this video.

I didn't think to check the inside of the panel or anything to find codes. The code equals number of short blinks for first digit, number of long blinks indicates second digit. I come up with 12 (1 short, 2 long).

This is what it says for 12:

Blower on after power up. (115 VAC or 24 VAC. Blower runs for 90 seconds, if unit is powered up during a call for heat (R-W closed) or R-W opens during blower-on delay.

Sure enough, fan shuts off after the 90 second mark. There is a component test section under the service sticker that I believe troubleshoots a particular component. It says to turn off the thermostat and short the test/twin terminal to the "Com 24V" terminal and it appears that it'll give me another code to indicate any of the following:

13-Limit circuit lockout
14-Ignition lockout
21-Gas heating lockout
22-Abornmal flame proving signal
23-Pressure switch did not open
24-Secondary voltage fuse is open
31-Pressure switch did not close or reopened
33-Limit circuit fault
34-Ignition proving failure
45-Control circuitry lockout

It pretty much details what the check for in each component that could cause the code. For now, I'm going to go pull the breaker to it and go from there.

I happen to have a guy coming out sometime this week to evaluate adding another vent in each of my rooms over the garage that don't do the best job of heating/cooling compared to the other rooms upstairs, which is expected. May just hold off and let a "pro" save me a lot of headache cuz time is something I don't have much of as a full-time nursing student, working 24 hours/week, and trying to be a dad/husband at the same time. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:07 AM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
May just hold off and let a "pro" save me a lot of headache cuz time is something I don't have much of as a full-time nursing student...
There ya go, brother.
He'll be able to diagnose it in a few minutes and you'll know what you're up against. I wish you lived closer, I'd swing by and fix it for ya. And smoke your cigars. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 11:38 AM 02-07-2012
I haven't messed with it again other than turning the breaker back on. I think I've come down with strep throat.

I appreciate everyone trying to give their advice though. I just don't have the time and health to go any further on my own.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 12:02 PM 02-07-2012
http://www.serviceexperts.com/Locati...al_Offers.aspx ask to see if they can double the coupon.

DO NOT USE CHARCOAL TO HEAT YOUR HOUSE! That would make the evil CO, and that ain't Colorado.

But you knew that.
[Reply]
forgop 01:33 PM 02-10-2012
Finally gave in and had them come out today. Unfortunately, it was the inducer motor and needed replaced. Not thrilled about a $450 repair on an 80% furnace that's much too big. My AC 5T unit is also overkill because I went with dedicated systems for each floor. Anyway, the company is going to credit me the motor cost when it comes to right-sizing and upgrading to a 95% furnace and AC unit. It's a cost now, but it'll come off the price for my new system later on in the spring/summer. At least it won't be 52 degrees when I come downstairs tomorrow morning.
[Reply]
shilala 01:43 PM 02-10-2012
Eat the repair, Duane. You'll never in 5 lifetimes recover the cost of a new system in gas savings. It's all smokes and mirrors and popsicles.
Plus, if you ever add on or want to heat a garage or something, you have the extra ass. All you do for now is change the fan speed.
I'd far rather have more furnace than I need than less or just enough. And to pay good money to go backwards? Come on, man. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up