Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Pinar Del Rio Classico Exclusivo & Berger & Argenti Entubar problem?
larryinlc 08:07 PM 01-28-2012
I've having an all too common problem with the above mentioned cigars from the same vendor. Without fail, they blow up like a balloon when lit. Half way through, they expanded by 25%. I'm not talking about one or two, but several, and often, the whole box. These two brands have the same fragile wrapper and seem similar in taste and filler. Buying other types, such as El Rey Del Mundo maduro have been perfect for me. Also, from the same source. Do you think it could be a storage problem with the retailer or the supplier? I really like these, but they're almost unsmokable. Maybe it's nothing more than a coincidence, but as I write this, my 1/3'd smoked Pinar Del Rio is a complete disaster. I can guarantee that they've been stored properly at my end.

Anybody else smoke and have had problems with these? Maybe I need to find a different source.

Larry
[Reply]
mariogolbee 08:12 PM 01-28-2012
How long have you had them for? I'm think that humidification may be partly at work here. I have been smoking various PdR vitolas for 2-3 years now and rarely have any issues.
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:18 PM 01-28-2012
I've had them for a month and have been smoking them all along, but they've not improved. They all look and feel fine, but as soon as I light one up, the cracking begins and followed by extreme expansion quite quickly. Right now, the wrapper is completely gone and I'm trying to make the best of what's left.
[Reply]
kuzi16 10:00 PM 01-28-2012
do you keep your humidity low?
if so
is the ambient humidity when you smoke high?
that combo can promote what you are talking about.

do you smoke fast or slow?
smoking fast may also promote this.

another cause may be that it is generally over humidified. once lit the moisture causes general havoc.

if you see it is starting to happen on your next one, try slowing down your smoke. see what that does. if it does not help, maybe you should double check the hygrometer and humidity in your humidor.

good luck
[Reply]
quantim0 06:50 AM 01-29-2012
I have had both cigars crack on me routinely. The PDR has cracked on every one I have smoked. The BA has cracked about 75% of the time. My humidity is between 65-67% and I have tried keeping them in both my CC humidor at 62% and smoking straight out of my local shop at 70%. Neither of those have solved the problem. Now I just don't smoke them.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:27 AM 01-29-2012
WOW!! Never had a problem with the Berger & Argenti Entubar...and it is a great stick. Sorry to hear.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:41 AM 01-29-2012
Can't speak for the Entubars as I have only had one but have smoked my fair share of PDRs(little bit of everything they offer) and I have never had an issue with them exploding or the wrappers cracking. At first I was going to suggest maybe smoking out in the cold dry air to be the problem as I tend to have this issue with thinner wrapper cigars in the winter but than realized you were in Florida so probably not so much. Sounds like you have played with your humidity/storage conditions to no avail so I guess my next question would be, Are you a fast smoker? Reason I ask because I do know a couple guys who I consider fast smokers and they tend to have more issues with burn/ wrappers etc than I especially my one buddy who tends to hot box everything.
[Reply]
larryinlc 09:36 AM 01-29-2012
Originally Posted by quantim0:
I have had both cigars crack on me routinely. The PDR has cracked on every one I have smoked. The BA has cracked about 75% of the time. My humidity is between 65-67% and I have tried keeping them in both my CC humidor at 62% and smoking straight out of my local shop at 70%. Neither of those have solved the problem. Now I just don't smoke them.
This is exactly what I've done. And, I don't smoke them fast. I never smoke outdoors in the winter. Too old for that. I smoke them in a heated shop. Another stick I buy on a regular basis from the same retailer is the Diamond Crown Natural. Similar in construction, and have never had an issue with these. I think that somewhere along the cigar food chain the problem smokes were mishandled. At least the batches I've received. These are too expensive to just toss, so I think I'll just quit buying them too.

Larry
[Reply]
Up