Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Need some help from the West Coasters
GWN 07:41 PM 01-25-2012
So here's the deal: my lovely wife and I celebrate 20 years of marriage this September and we're taking a trip. I'm pushing for San Francisco and wine country, but she's hedging because we've been there.
We did a PCH drive from SF to SD a few years back. Day and a half in SF to recover from the flight, up Sonoma one day, down Napa the next and then we headed south.
In SF we did a quick run through Fisherman's Wharf, dinner at Brandy Ho's and a quick smoke at a nearby cigar bar before we were on our way.
We both love Cali wines and there's tons more to see in SF, Napa and Sonoma.
She's pushing for the Big Easy, but I'd love to head back to Cali.
So those in the area, give me the goods (I'm lookin' at you, Bobarian). What are the must-sees with which I can build my case?
[Reply]
markem 07:53 PM 01-25-2012
Look at the Paso Robles area just inland from San Louis Obispo. Many great wineries there, the Hearst Mansion, stuff like that.

You can also look at doing a self guided tour to the wine region SW of Portland. Probably at least 100 (many international award winners) that allow on site tasting. Good food in that area as well.
[Reply]
bobarian 08:23 PM 01-25-2012
I am assuming no kids, correct?

San Francisco City highlights-De Young Museum, Steinhart Aquarium and Japanese Tea Garden-All in same area of Golden Gate Park

Alacatraz, Bay Boat Tour and Fisherman's Wharf

Marin County and North Coast-Muir Woods or continue heading north on 101 to Redwood National Forest.

Sonoma County Wineries and Napa County Wineries-I would suggest doing these on separate days, one winery in morning, lunch, second and possibly third in the afternoon.

Napa County suggestions other than one of your personal favorites would include Castelo di Amoroso(V. Satui), http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/. Auberge du Soleil and Beringer.

Also, try to plan a day or two in Santa Cruz and Carmel/Monterey area.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 10:52 PM 01-25-2012
I've spent time in San Fran and SD (and surrounding areas), and I've spent time on several occasions in the Big Easy. No contest. California coast any day, for sure!
[Reply]
montecristo#2 11:50 PM 01-25-2012
I would also check out Yountville and St. Helena. If you are looking for a good place to eat I recommend Bouchon. I have also heard great things about the French Laundry if you can get reservations and are looking for an expensive dinner.

Boulevard in SF by the Ferry Building is very good as well.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 09:59 AM 01-26-2012
If you do SF, go north a few miles up the PCH to Stinson Beach, and eat at the Parkside Grill. It doesn't look like all that big a deal, but they have a kick-arse menu and tremendous chefs!! Worth the trip.
[Reply]
GWN 04:55 PM 01-26-2012
Appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Bob, you're right, no kids on this trip.
We did Beringer, Benzinger, Rubicon and Sebastiani when we were there last time. Wanting to search out a few more lesser-known producers this time.
Is French Laundry really worth the premium? I'm a big fan of simple food done well (as opposed to well-done) and don't usually go for the foo-foo, trendiest place.
[Reply]
bobarian 06:37 PM 01-26-2012
Gotcha on the smaller places. Are you more interested in the wine(and purchasing) or more the process and touring the vineyard?

Without a doubt the French Laundry is worth the premium. Many celebrity chefs have rated this among the very best restaurant experiences in the world. Now that El Bulli in Spain has closed, FL could be back on top once again.

I'll try and come up with a few places that might peak your interest. :-)
[Reply]
Up