Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Outdoor Speakers
chachee52 06:33 PM 01-05-2012
So I was very lucky this year to be given a pair of outdoor speakers for my back porch. I spent a lot of time running the wires from my livingroom surround sound reciever up into the attic and then out the overhang outside. They were the best thing that I've ever done to my house. I get to spend time after work smoking while listening to the Red Sox during the summer. This time of year, get a little fire going and have a smoke while listening to the Bruins.
My question is, now that winter temps have FINALLY hit New England should I be taking the speakers in. I guess I'm worried that the temp will affect the rubber in the speakers and thus ruin the sound in the spring. They are well under the overhang of the roof so I'm not worried about the snow or sleet, just the temp.
Any thoughts?
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:38 PM 01-05-2012
Is there anything in the papers that came with the speakers about cold-weather care? Thats where I would start. They were designed for outdoor use, so one would think they should be good to go. :-)
[Reply]
gnbikes 07:57 PM 01-05-2012
I wouldn't worry about them at all. The summer heat and extra humidity is harder on them than the cold of winter. I used to sell hifi gear in another life...
Garry
[Reply]
RGD. 09:43 PM 01-05-2012
I have Polk Audio Atrium5 speakers on my front porch and rear deck. The rear ones can possible get wet. I have never taken them down since installing them and they still crank. So no, I wouldn't worry about them.

Ron
[Reply]
chachee52 05:04 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Is there anything in the papers that came with the speakers about cold-weather care? Thats where I would start. They were designed for outdoor use, so one would think they should be good to go. :-)
BEcause they were given to me, they didn't have the papers in the box.

If the concensus is to leave them up right now, than I will. it's not like it cost me anything to begin with, and now that hard work of getting the speaker wire through the house is done, so putting new ones up will be a breeze!!
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:15 AM 01-06-2012
Leave them up. Mine have survived 5 years of Kansas Summers & Winters and are still going strong!
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:28 AM 01-06-2012
I've had mine outdoors through 8 New Jersey winters.
Yet to have an issue! :-)
[Reply]
kickerb 08:40 AM 01-06-2012
I think an important factor is what brand of speaker they are. If they are of good quality, I would not worry about them. If they were say, an unknown brand, I might bring them in. For example, if they are Bose, Klipsch, Polk, etc. I wouldn't have a care in the world.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:12 AM 01-06-2012
Leave em alone. I've had a pair hanging on my back deck now for about 10 years with no problem.
[Reply]
14holestogie 11:19 AM 01-06-2012
You may not want to crank them at -30, but no harm in leaving them out. That's what they were made for.
[Reply]
Up