Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Curious Aristocrat temp findings
jonumberone 08:36 AM 11-01-2011
I recently upgraded to an Aristocrat.
I opted not to get temp control because my previous cabinet held around 65 in the summer with occasional spikes to 68 during very hot periods.

The Aristocrat is in the same room as the previous cabinet, but in a different spot, and is directly in the path of an air conditioning duct, yet it runs much hotter than my other humi.
Temps in the Aristocrat were in the 70-71 range while the other cabinet, a mere 10 ft away were in the 64-66 range.
Now that the weather is cooling, the aristocrat is around 68 and my other humi is running at 62

Would the larger size of the aristocrat have an affect on temp?
The only other difference is the set and forget vs a Hydra LG but there is no discernible heat coming from either unit. :-)

Any idea as to what may be going on here?
Thanks in advance!
[Reply]
mithrilG60 11:06 AM 11-01-2011
Are you getting the temp readings from the Set and Forget or from the same thermometer as the other cabinet? Could just be a calibration issue, look at your documentation and make sure the baseline setting for temp is 100 instead of 68 (the baseline for THC-RH units). Could also be that the Aristocrat just has better insulation properties or that it's in a spot in your room that's naturally warmer (air flow from the HVAC, etc)?
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:43 AM 11-01-2011
I have used multiple instruments to measure the temp in both humi's with the same results.
They all read the same temp as the set and forget as well. (within a degree)

I would think the location of the Aristocrat would be cooler since the Air conditioning blows directly on it.

That vent is sealed off from the furnace by a damper and vent cover for the winter.
There is no warm air flowing through it now.
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:24 PM 11-01-2011
Dom -- maybe your Aristocrat is too full and your cigars are fermenting and generating heat. You need to smoke more!

Seriously, there is nothing in the Aristrocrat that should be generating any heat. It could be that because it is better built it may just hold in the heat better. What is the ambient temperature in the room? Is the ambient temperature around the Aristocrat higher than the temperature around the other humidor?

Are there any electronics near near the Aristocrat that might be giving off some heat?
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:39 PM 11-01-2011
Thank you Michael :-)

I will check the temp of the room.
I imagine it is at most 62, since that is what the other humi is holding at.
I should mention the humis are in my basement, so It is usually pretty cool down there even in the summer, without the AC vent opened.
There are no lights above the humi or any electronics or heat sources nearby.
the Aristocrat backs to an exterior cinder block wall, while the other humi backs to an interior cinder block wall with paneling over it.

There is probably some credit to the fact that the humi is much more well built than the other and holds the temp in.
But after the week of cold temps we had, I kinda expected mother nature to win out by now.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:27 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
the Aristocrat backs to an exterior cinder block wall, while the other humi backs to an interior cinder block wall with paneling over it.
Is it an above or below ground basement? Just thinking that since it's an exterior wall there may be some heat transfer if the wall gets a lot of direct sunlight during the day? May not matter much this time of year though.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 04:01 PM 11-01-2011
I suspect the exterior block wall is getting more heat from the sun.
[Reply]
jonumberone 04:05 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Is it an above or below ground basement? Just thinking that since it's an exterior wall there may be some heat transfer if the wall gets a lot of direct sunlight during the day? May not matter much this time of year though.
Originally Posted by LigaPrivadaT84:
I suspect the exterior block wall is getting more heat from the sun.
The exterior wall is completely buried, and has no exposure to the sun.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 04:08 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
The exterior wall is completely buried, and has no exposure to the sun.
Fair enough, just spitballing ideas. Have you called Bob and asked him his opinion?
[Reply]
jonumberone 04:45 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Fair enough, just spitballing ideas. Have you called Bob and asked him his opinion?
I hear ya!
Can't figure this out myself.
I haven't called Bob, and am not sure he can help.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:16 PM 11-01-2011
Dom I would suggest that you contact Bob Staebell to see if he has any thoughts...
[Reply]
mithrilG60 06:17 PM 11-01-2011
Bob might not be able to help as it is likely something in your environment but he also may have come across something like this before too, it never hurts to call and ask. For what it's worth, my Aristocrat is sitting at 68F internal temp which is the same as the ambient in my office according to the temp gauge in one of my portable hygrometers.
[Reply]
the nub 06:25 PM 11-01-2011
why not place them side by side? If they read the same, then temp difference in the other location is due to environment. If they read different when they are side by side, then it has to do with the humidor itself or its set-up.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 06:28 PM 11-01-2011
As I recall his other cabinet is pretty big and that Aristocrat would take 3 or 4 guys to move when empty, let alone full!
[Reply]
markem 06:29 PM 11-01-2011
Definitely contact Bob. There is always the chance that there is some wood still curing that may be causing the problem or some other issue related to the humidor. Also, the humidification units may be overheating and need to be replaced.

I'd also place temp gauges next to each humidor. If the ambient next to each is the same, then there isn't any extra environmental heat to transfer to the cabinet.
[Reply]
Up