Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Punch Cask Aged
macpappy 03:37 PM 11-26-2008
I took a shot and ordered the Punch Cask Aged promotion from JR Cigars and received them a little over a week ago. The ones I got were the 6.12x50, medium-full bodied, Dark Brown Ecuador Sumatran Wrapper, Connecticut Binder with the DR/HON/NIC filler. At $59.95 for 20, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. I think this is the same as the Punch Pitas.

When I got mine I pulled five out and put them in the cellos that were included and put those in my humidor. The others I placed in my cooler. I decided to try one today.

I was surprised at how nice of a smoke this was. It felt a little soft before lighting but it let easy, had a very nice draw and produce good smoke. The flavor started out a little milder than I normally like and it was only slightly spicy to start. The spice did build a little but never got too spicy. I also found it to be sort of creamy/nutty with maybe a little woodsy taste to it.

The ash held up well if not completely straight and was still holding until about a 1/3 of the way into the smoke. It fell off more because I bumped by hand on the chair arm then anything. The burn stayed even and I didn't have to retouch or relight at all. After close to 1-1/2 hours it was down to about an inch and it went out when I placed it in the ashtray to answer the phone.

Overall I feel this was a good purchase and I'm glad I made it.

By the way, I had a glass of The Glenlivet Nadurra while smoking this and it paired well.
[Reply]
Skywalker 04:02 PM 11-26-2008
I was wondering about these!!! The barrels look great!!!

Thanks for the review!!! Punch is one of my favorites!!!

[Reply]
BlackIrish 04:37 PM 11-26-2008
I've been tempted by these too. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
scooter 05:18 PM 11-26-2008
Great review. I have been waiting to make the purchase but I guess now is the time!:-)
[Reply]
workinonit50 03:03 PM 12-01-2008
Great review
[Reply]
gvarsity 09:24 PM 12-01-2008
I have to admit the packaging peaked my interest. I always love Punch cigars. Unfortunately I'm trying to trim down my collection not add to it. Nice review. Thanks.
[Reply]
bookman 09:56 PM 07-27-2009
The casks are on sale at jrcigar.com. Each day they are selling one type for "rediculously" low prices!!!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:04 PM 07-27-2009
Thanks for the informative review macpappy. Love Punch myself. I have a few Gran Puro Rancho's left from 2006 that are doing quite well:-) Will hate to see these eventually go...

[Reply]
Starscream 10:06 PM 07-27-2009
I've wondered about all these JR cask aged sticks. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 05:07 PM 09-26-2009
Do you know how these hold up to traditional uncask aged sticks of the same brand?
[Reply]
macpappy 05:19 PM 09-26-2009
I still have about 9 left from my original purchase. I smoked one last week and it was everything I have come to enjoy from a Punch. The flavor profile was still good, the draw was good and the burn was very even. I keep them in the cask inside a cooler I use for storage. It's maintained at 65%.

I added a cask of the Dominican Cohiba's last month but haven't tried one of them lately.
[Reply]
Snake Hips 08:06 PM 09-26-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Do you know how these hold up to traditional uncask aged sticks of the same brand?
Same cigars in a gimmick package.
[Reply]
njstone 10:49 PM 09-26-2009
Thanks for the review! I've only smoked one Punch cigar, a regular line Magnum. I was surprised by how much I liked it.
[Reply]
JJG 11:39 AM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
:-)

I doubt I would even smoke the cigars, but I might still be tempted to buy some just for the silly barrel. which is probably what JR is counting on. It's a gimmick, but it works!
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:43 AM 09-28-2009
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
I can see the gimmick part but all of the cigars offered this way are the same exact size. For all of them the size is not a traditional one either. The value seems to be pretty spot on though. Just want to know if I get the Partagas Blacks are they gonna taste like Partagas Blacks.
[Reply]
macpappy 04:00 PM 09-28-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I can see the gimmick part but all of the cigars offered this way are the same exact size. For all of them the size is not a traditional one either. The value seems to be pretty spot on though. Just want to know if I get the Partagas Blacks are they gonna taste like Partagas Blacks.
I would say yes. The Punch that I bought taste just like the Punch I usually smoke.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 09:57 AM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
I would say yes. The Punch that I bought taste just like the Punch I usually smoke.
Thanks. I think that for $70 a cask it's not too bad then.:-)
[Reply]
Up