Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
All Cigar Discussion>Fiscal Responsibility
Eleven 03:54 PM 09-01-2010
Lots of Dave Ramsey Love in this thread but not a single one of us who HASN'T gotten debt free would be safe from the wrath of Dave himself if he found out we were buying Cigars!

Live like no one else so you can Live like no one else means NO extra spending. He wants you to eat TV dinners and sell cars and even move into smaller living spaces until you are debt free.

I may not be debt free yet, but we're working on it...and enjoying cigars...Sorry Dave :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:24 PM 09-01-2010
I am surprised I never saw this post before. It is some really good advice. I learned long ago in hobbies that I could go overboard. I have been fortunate in this hobby to not do that. I have one account that is only used for cigar purchases with a prepaid card. I only put my "play" money in that account. If there is none in there I don't buy. If there is a little I may pick up something I have been looking at. If there is a lot... Katie bar the door!!!
[Reply]
papajohn67 04:48 PM 09-01-2010
Guess I'm grumpy today :-). Yep sage advise for some but deep down inside I feel whatever someone buys and how as well as how much they spend is nobody's damn business but their own.
[Reply]
jwfish81 06:16 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Guess I'm grumpy today :-). Yep sage advise for some but deep down inside I feel whatever someone buys and how as well as how much they spend is nobody's damn business but their own.
I don't think anyone is trying to pry or be nosy about personal business or information. Just good advice for those, expecially the younger generations, who may have never thought about it before. I wish some had informed me about 10 years ago, and definitely some of my friends that had to resort to bankruptcy.
[Reply]
markem 06:20 PM 09-01-2010
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
:-) but just like gambling, it is prudent to not get carried away.
[Reply]
CigarDisciple 01:31 PM 09-02-2010
Truer words have never been spoken, I let credit cards control me for yrs and I got into serious trouble. I no longer have cards and deal cash only or debit card. If I can't afford to pay cash I won't get it besides I'm currently under a cigar embargo imposed by the better or other half (LOL) but trust me cards can detroy you if you aren't careful. :-)
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 06:17 PM 12-16-2013
Friendly bump. Perhaps some sage advice. Glad I saw it the first time around.

Also; sub $6 monte a's? Dang it!
[Reply]
G G 06:35 PM 12-16-2013
I looked back through the entire thread and agree with the advice because it's good. I was struck by the names of folks I used to interact with regularly and even though I have been less involved here for the last year or so, I miss some of those that posted in the thread way back when and they haven't been active for a long time.
[Reply]
bruceolee 06:37 PM 12-16-2013
Couldn't agree more here. I have certain medical conditions that limit me from indulging in many things so most of my cigar budget is my entire indulgence budget so it allows me to spend more on smokes than most. I also have no children and am not married. If i were, it would be criminal for me to continue in this fun hobby at the pace i'm enjoying it now. I love smoking great cigars but i won't use credit as a means to buy. I save my money and only then buy cigars once i can afford to. I hope no one here is extended beyond their means just for a hobby. Hobbies should be fun and never stressful. :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:00 PM 12-16-2013
Spend it before it's spent for you, for the 8th time!:-)

No seriously, spend, spend, spend and then spend some more. It's good for us all.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:26 PM 12-16-2013
I agree. This slope is crazy, but we all have the controls to slow it down a bit.

I went off the deep end and realized I have plenty of smokes to last me a while.

Now I blow the budget on chasing 'seasonal' cigars. More money but to me, they are pretty cool.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up