Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Stress...
Steve 07:47 AM 09-08-2011
A young lady confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining stress management to an audience; with a raised glass of water, and everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, 'half empty or half full?'..... she fooled them all... "How heavy is this glass of water?", she inquired with a smile.

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "and that's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on."

"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden - holding stress longer and better each time practiced.

So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night... pick them up tomorrow.

Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment. Relax, pick them up later after you've rested. Life is short. Enjoy it!
[Reply]
Ogre 07:53 AM 09-08-2011
How true that is brother!!!
[Reply]
irratebass 07:58 AM 09-08-2011
Helluva a reminder Steve, thanks
[Reply]
icehog3 08:03 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by steve:
Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment. Relax, pick them up later after you've rested. Life is short. Enjoy it!
I find a cigar can be perfect for doing just that, Steve. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 08:06 AM 09-08-2011
Very nice lesson for the day!:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:10 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Absolutely, Tom! Some Tequila along with the cigar helps too :-)

Thanks for sharing Steve.
[Reply]
WittyUserName 08:11 AM 09-08-2011
:-) :-)
[Reply]
pektel 08:16 AM 09-08-2011
Great reminder!

$10 says RevSmoke will incorporate a version of this into a sermon. :-)
[Reply]
Steve 08:17 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
Great reminder!

$10 says RevSmoke will incorporate a version of this into a sermon. :-)
I would be honored!
[Reply]
Steve 08:18 AM 09-08-2011
:-):-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 08:57 AM 09-08-2011
Thanks for the reminder Steve and I agree, a cigar or the outdoors melts my stresses away.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:10 AM 09-08-2011
Cigars help with this stress in a big way. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Cigarcop 09:19 AM 09-08-2011
I'll take sitting in a tree anyday I can get it!
[Reply]
shilala 09:27 AM 09-08-2011
My daughter just told me last week that she finally understood "sufficient to the day is the evil thereof" and asked for more scripture surrounding it, so that she can do better with her problem of projecting into the past and future.
It was taught to me that looking into the past causes depression and looking to the future causes anxiety, two major problems I've had in the past that amped my stress.
To handle stress on a moment-by-moment basis, I always remember something a good friend told me. He said "is it better to be right or happy?" Then I started practicing on a momentary basis. In the beginning it took a lot of banging my head on doorjambs to finally give my problems to God. It took proof that I performed better, was happier, and could actually change stressful situations if I wasn't stressed that sold me on the deal.

Oddly enough, cigars were a big part of that learning process. When I could finally sit long enough to smoke a cigar instead of trying to master my life, I knew I'd come a long way. :-)
[Reply]
WittyUserName 11:01 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
My daughter just told me last week that she finally understood "sufficient to the day is the evil thereof" and asked for more scripture surrounding it, so that she can do better with her problem of projecting into the past and future.
It was taught to me that looking into the past causes depression and looking to the future causes anxiety, two major problems I've had in the past that amped my stress.
To handle stress on a moment-by-moment basis, I always remember something a good friend told me. He said "is it better to be right or happy?" Then I started practicing on a momentary basis. In the beginning it took a lot of banging my head on doorjambs to finally give my problems to God. It took proof that I performed better, was happier, and could actually change stressful situations if I wasn't stressed that sold me on the deal.

Oddly enough, cigars were a big part of that learning process. When I could finally sit long enough to smoke a cigar instead of trying to master my life, I knew I'd come a long way. :-)
Well said. I need to work on this myself. :-)
[Reply]
ArgusP2 02:46 PM 09-08-2011
...and the education continues...

Thanks for that reminder!
[Reply]
Mr B 04:48 PM 09-08-2011
Stress Management....AAAAAAHHHHHH

[Reply]
Newbie_nick 04:52 PM 09-08-2011
I was thinking the same thing. That's why I sit down to enjoy a cigar, not just puff of them mindlessly. It gives me time to slow down, think a little, and enjoy myself.

Well put...
[Reply]
Steve 06:10 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by Newbie_nick:
I was thinking the same thing. That's why I sit down to enjoy a cigar, not just puff of them mindlessly. It gives me time to slow down, think a little, and enjoy myself.

Well put...
Well said...

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:56 PM 09-08-2011
Sounds like the basis of Yoga practice. Being in the moment, not holding on to the past or thinking about the future.

Stress and inflamation are killers!
[Reply]
Up