Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar consumption in America (Graph)
Blak Smyth 02:40 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre:
I wonder if the decline after the embargo is due to poor quality cigars from other countries at the time. Wasnt Cuban cigars the standard??? Maybe its taken the the past 50 years to get NCs up to par. Just a guess on my behalf!!!!
Thats a good point. I have not been smoking cigars long enough to compare the quality but that would seem to make a lot of sense.
Ogre 02:45 PM 08-26-2011
As for what the Pres did, I would have done it as well. What would any of us do if we found out starting tomorrow that all cigars will be illegal to purchase. I for one would stock up while I could!!!! Cant blame the man.
T.G 02:51 PM 08-26-2011
I wonder if the decline after the embargo is due to poor quality cigars from other countries at the time. Wasnt Cuban cigars the standard??? Maybe its taken the the past 50 years to get NCs up to par. Just a guess on my behalf!!!!
The big decline starts around 1970 and probably has a lot more to do with the anti-tobacco push that started right around that time with the passing of the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act than anything else. Prior to that, it went up and then fell slowly as could be expected from a knee-jerk gain in the 8 years after the embargo.
Drez 02:51 PM 08-26-2011
As for what the Pres did, I would have done it as well. What would any of us do if we found out starting tomorrow that all cigars will be illegal to purchase. I for one would stock up while I could!!!! Cant blame the man.
Very true
N2 GOLD 03:06 PM 08-26-2011
Very good & strong point... :-)
The Poet 03:13 PM 08-26-2011
Originally Posted by kgoings:
Lackey? He sent the Press Secretary, and he told him to get 1000...Salinger went above and beyond!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHazLBTZUEs

That was my first thought too, brother. Pierre Salinger was hardly a lackey.

It seems some here wish to put the blame for the slide in domestic cigar sales on the embargo. Truth be known, the decline began after WWI, because the doughboys got hooked on those newfangled cigarettes during their service, and thus started the switch from cigars to cigs for the American smoking public. Furthermore, the vast majority of the cigars consumed before said decline were also produced domestically, from Tampa to the Northeast, and from coast-to-coast, whereas the Cuban share of the market was tiny . . . as with most other luxury items.
pnoon 03:26 PM 08-26-2011
OP requested this be closed
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up