Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Drew Estate La Vieja Habana Connecticut Chateau Corona
kaelaria 02:48 PM 07-31-2011

This 5.5×46 cigar features a light tan wrapper with a butter soft feel, spongy give with several soft spots, small veins and a manure aroma. This is a mixed filler cigar, marketed as a value line. First light reveals A good draw, mild body flavors of a dry tobacco and slight sweetness with a short clean finish. In the video I talk about the differences between long and short filler. The first third ramps up the body to medium, and smoke production is excellent. Overall a very consistent stick, flavors finally shift a bit at the 1/2 way point dropping the tobacco flavor for a heavy wood, and the pepper kicks up a bit. The smoke output is very warm, not too warm to smoke but certainly much hotter than most cigars. Ending at 45 min the last third showed no further changes. Video on the site
[Reply]
borndead1 05:29 PM 08-03-2011
I like this particular size in this line quite a bit. From my experience, mixed or short filler cigars can work very well in smaller ring gauges. Bigger ring gauges tend to burn hot and the cigar will often "collapse".

You can get these for often less than $2/stick on C-Bid and Cigar Auctioneer. At that price they are a great value.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:13 PM 08-03-2011
Thanks for the review Bryan...

Originally Posted by borndead1:
I like this particular size in this line quite a bit. From my experience, mixed or short filler cigars can work very well in smaller ring gauges. Bigger ring gauges tend to burn hot and the cigar will often "collapse"...
Wonder how that would work out then for RG in the 42-44 area, 5" to 5.25" size?

[Reply]
lenguamor 11:27 PM 01-08-2012
Smoked a robusto in this line tonight.

Pre-light, it was all pepper and spice, and I expected the worst. But once lit, it was a flavor bomb. Spicy, yes, but warm spices and an herbal background; through the nose, a wonderful sensation, not at all overpowering...herbal, floral, with an undertone of vanilla and cream.

Very nice. Would I smoke it again? It was interesting, but in a curious sort of way. I found this in a 50%-off bin and bought a couple (about $2 each) but I doubt that I'd seek it out again unless I found it discounted.
[Reply]
coty 01:41 PM 01-13-2012
I too am a big fan of the ring on this stick. Then again Ilike my cigars slim anyway. However one thing on the review I noticed a real cedar in this guy???
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:20 PM 01-13-2012
This was the first Drew Estate sticks I smoked...and almost turned me off on the rest of their stuff. Not a fan of this stick at all. Good thing I didn't dismiss or I would have never tried the LP #9. :-)
[Reply]
Taki 04:22 PM 01-13-2012
Thanks for sharing brother :-) and Mac the #9 is one of the best in the line if not the best :-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 06:43 PM 02-21-2012
Came across boxes of these at a local B&M today and couldn't help but think about Digs....

I think these are the sticks that he was ranting and raving about that he used to love....

Dennis, were these the ones? If so I know where you can get more!
[Reply]
Digs 07:11 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy:
Came across boxes of these at a local B&M today and couldn't help but think about Digs....

I think these are the sticks that he was ranting and raving about that he used to love....

Dennis, were these the ones? If so I know where you can get more!
Kenny thanks for looking our for a BOTL! they were LaViejs Habana in Maduro, called the Fuma #2 were my favorite everyday smoke and sold for around a $1 a stick but then again that was 6-7 years ago. Pretty sure they were a short filler, I dug thru my box of bands and attached a pic.
Attached: fuma 2.jpg (113.9 KB) 
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:09 AM 02-22-2012
The maduro' I see here:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/la...+maduro+cigars
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:14 AM 02-22-2012
I personally find them un-smokable.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 11:59 AM 02-22-2012
I've only had one many years ago - forgot which wrapper, but recall it was enjoyabe.
:-)
[Reply]
lenguamor 12:03 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
The maduro' I see here:

http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/la...+maduro+cigars
http://www.famous-smoke.com/la+vieja...ars/item+25396

8-LVH sampler; 2 Cameroons, 2 corojos, 2 Connecticuts and 2 maduros for $20.99.

That's pretty damn good.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 03:20 PM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
http://www.famous-smoke.com/la+vieja...ars/item+25396

8-LVH sampler; 2 Cameroons, 2 corojos, 2 Connecticuts and 2 maduros for $20.99.

That's pretty damn good.
Very nice:-)

[Reply]
Up