Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Martha's Vineyard
Flounder 12:11 AM 07-29-2011
We've gone every year for as long as I can remember, just curious how many of you have been? And if anyone has found a decent B & M on the island. I want to find one.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:54 AM 07-29-2011
Grew up in Falmouth. Can see MV from my parents' roof. We use to play them in soccer and I use to go to South Beach a lot. Man has that place got expensive over the years. To me, it's lost that free spirit, hitch hike and party everywhere vibe.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 05:31 AM 07-29-2011
I go to the Vineyard quite often. It's such a beautiful place.
I haven't found any real B&Ms there. There are some places that do sell a good selection of cigars. My first stop is always Trader Fred's at the Triangle in Edgartown. Fred has a relationship with Carlito and usually has a good stock of Fuentes including Opus X, VSG and ESG. All are fairly priced. The prices aren't marked, but they will give you a price list if you ask before going into the small walkin. It's a fun place to poke around, lots clothing and sporting goods.

Jim's Package in Oak Bluffs has a small walk in humidor. The selection seems to be getting smaller every time I visit, but I often go in the off-season so maybe there is a better selection in the summer.

Our Market on the harbor in Oak Bluffs has a couple large cabinets of cigars. They always have a good selection with some high end stuff like Davidoffs. Good beer and wine selection and a small food mart.

For me there is nothing better than walking the beach with a good cigar and my sweet wife.:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:19 AM 07-29-2011
I was born and raised here, but I've never been to the islands; I'm more of a Hampton Beach kinda guy.
[Reply]
Flounder 04:19 PM 07-29-2011
Oak Bluffs is where we stay, I know Our Market and Jim's pretty well, but never sniffed around enough to discover the walk-ins, I'll be sure the check them out. I'm probably taking my cigars anyways, so no need to buy, I just really want to experience a cigar shop atmosphere sometime rather than my local "smoke shops" which are mainly pipes, bongs, bowls, etc.
[Reply]
G G 03:37 PM 01-12-2015
I visited there once, just a daytrip though.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:51 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by G G:
I visited there once, just a daytrip though.
I've been to Dudley Shoals, but I guess that does not count.
[Reply]
G G 04:55 PM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I've been to Dudley Shoals, but I guess that does not count.
I wouldn't be smart enough about it to tell you Thomas. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:19 AM 01-13-2015
MV has changed a lot in the last 20 years; for the worse IMO. It use to be a lot more fun. "Sex, drugs, and rock & roll". Now it's kind of lame and more formal...

Similar fate has happened in Falmouth; the good time atmosphere is not there like it use to be. Both are still beautiful locales, but the fun-o-meter is on low.
[Reply]
Brian D. 11:04 AM 01-13-2015
Always avoided travel there because I was afraid of running into a Kennedy.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:27 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
MV has changed a lot in the last 20 years; for the worse IMO. It use to be a lot more fun. "Sex, drugs, and rock & roll". Now it's kind of lame and more formal...

Similar fate has happened in Falmouth; the good time atmosphere is not there like it use to be. Both are still beautiful locales, but the fun-o-meter is on low.
Eww, haven't been there in about 15 years, sad that it's changed so much. John Belushi is rolling over in his grave.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:25 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Eww, haven't been there in about 15 years, sad that it's changed so much. John Belushi is rolling over in his grave.
For sure. The hitch hiking, party dead head aspect or the island has totally disappeared.
[Reply]
Up