Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Camacho Face Off by Litto Gomez
Don Fernando 11:36 AM 07-28-2011
A few years ago, Christian Eiroa from Camacho and Litto Gomez from La Flor Dominicana, made a wager. They would send enough of their best tobacco to the other to make 50.000 5¾x50 cigars called "Face Off". In the spring of 2003 those plans came alive and resulted in a Camacho Face Off by Litto Gomez and a La Flor Dominicana Face Off by Christian Eiroa. Those cigars are all sold out, but I was lucky enough to find two of the Camacho Face Off by Litto Gomez in a cigar shop in Germany of all places. As far as I understand, they both added some of their own tobacco in the cigars too.

The wrapper is quite dark and has a nice yellow Camacho band which mentions "by Litto Gomez". The wrapper isn't oily and I see a few veins. The cigar has a floral smell. The construction feels good. The predraw is fine and leaves a floral flavor in my mouth.

I taste a dry and sweet coffee flavor with some earth. I also taste a bit of wood. After half an inch the coffee fades away and I am tasting a dry but sweet wood and earthy flavor. The sweetness is overpowering and the wood is mild spicy. Halfway I taste a smooth and sweet coffee again with a hint of earth. The wood flavor has gone, just like the spice although the wood, without the spice, makes a comeback.

The coffee fades away again while the wood gains strength. On the background I taste some sweet herbs. The cigar now has a nice herbal flavor with some sweetness and wood. The flavors are well balanced. The last few puffs give me a nice smooth nut flavor.

This cigar lasted me an hour and twenty five minutes. The draw was great, just like the burn. I got a medium amount of medium thick smoke. The salf & pepper colored ash is medium firm. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
ASU Maduro 10:06 PM 07-28-2011
Great review. I've never tried either one, but I have the Cigar Aficionado issue with the advertisement.
[Reply]
Ratters 12:32 AM 08-01-2011
I have one of each, but haven't had the guts to smoke them yet. :-)
[Reply]
G G 12:33 AM 08-01-2011
Nice review Ferdie.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 04:39 AM 08-01-2011
Great review. I wish there was more of these around. I had one of each a few years ago and did a side by side smoke and they where both great smokes.
[Reply]
STEVE S 08:35 AM 08-01-2011
Great review Ferdie, I only wish that I had not smoked all six boxes that I purchased. But at the time this was my go to cigar. :-)
[Reply]
Up