Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>When Is Your Humidor Ready??
JJKJR 07:46 AM 07-26-2011
For the past 2 weeks I've been "seasoning" my humidor. I keep adding water in the humidifer which temporarily increases the humidity to the upper 70's then over 2-3 days it drops back to 68%. When do I know that it is completely seasoned and ready to go?

Thanks for any advice.
[Reply]
Drez 07:50 AM 07-26-2011
Is your humi holding at or above 65% for a couple of days. If yes it sounds like your ready to add a few sticks.

You might want to look into getting some beads cause the humidifier that comes with a humi will over time develop mold. Also beads are very low maintenance and unlike the puck style humidifier they will regulate the humi to keep it at a set point.
[Reply]
Devanmc 07:54 AM 07-26-2011
:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 07:55 AM 07-26-2011
When I tell it to be ready!
[Reply]
area51 08:48 AM 07-26-2011
If you don't want to go the bead route look into boveda packs.
[Reply]
OLS 08:55 AM 07-26-2011
Mine is ready when it is packed and has the new owner's adress on the box. I hate desktops.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:07 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by JJKJR:
For the past 2 weeks I've been "seasoning" my humidor. I keep adding water in the humidifer which temporarily increases the humidity to the upper 70's then over 2-3 days it drops back to 68%. When do I know that it is completely seasoned and ready to go?

Thanks for any advice.
If the humidor seals well the humidity will not rise and fall so rapidly when the humididor is seasoned. So as long as you are getting big swings in RH your humidor is still seasoning.

Also, if you have not done so you should salt test or calibrate your hygrometer to see how accurate it is. It's good to know that when it is reading 68% that it is actually in the vicinity and not off by a huge amount. There are lots of sticky threads to help you with this whole process.

When everything is all done and your humidor is seasoned you are good to go. If you are still happy with the humidification device that came with it then no worries. If you want to go some other route (e.g., Beads :-)) then you have lots of choices.

In the meantime, have a cigar :-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:09 PM 07-26-2011
For the past 2 weeks I've been "seasoning" my humidor. I keep adding water in the humidifier which temporarily increases the humidity to the upper 70's then over 2-3 days it drops back to 68%. When do I know that it is completely seasoned and ready to go?

Thanks for any advice.
So it's been holding around 68%? After 2 weeks of seasoning it should be good to go. Fill it up with cigars and enjoy! For the long term get yourself some Heartfelt 65% beads and a adjustable hygrometer to eliminate any worries. Its my opinion that cigar smokers worry too much about humidity. When the hobby turns into a job, it ain't fun anymore, ya know.:-)
[Reply]
Doctorossi 12:58 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
When I tell it to be ready!
:-) :-) :-)

Sir, yes, sir!
[Reply]
Stinky 07:22 PM 07-26-2011
the only time you'll get mold is when you use tap water or drinking (bottled) water.

only use distilled water in your elements or beads, etc.

you can season a new humidor within a day or two. Spray a light coating of distilled water on the interior surfaces and leave a saucer of water inside overnight.
[Reply]
Volusianator 07:32 PM 07-26-2011
For the past 2 weeks I've been "seasoning"
It's ready.
[Reply]
Tyler 10:22 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by Drez:
Is your humi holding at or above 65% for a couple of days. If yes it sounds like your ready to add a few sticks.

You might want to look into getting some beads cause the humidifier that comes with a humi will over time develop mold. Also beads are very low maintenance and unlike the puck style humidifier they will regulate the humi to keep it at a set point.
:-)
[Reply]
Up