Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>mold in humidor
celtic250 03:18 PM 07-22-2011
I have a minor mold issue in my humidor that I believe came from some sticks that my dad brought me from Miami. I had never had any issue's before those sticks got in my humidor. I have been looking online for solutions to this problem and have found to rub down my humidor with a water/vinegar solution and then let it dry then re season. I was wondering if this is a correct measure to take or what are other suggestions. Also if the water/vinegar solution is the way to go, what part water do you do to what part vinegar (ie 50-50 or 75-25 water to vinegar etc.) All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[Reply]
galaga 03:29 PM 07-22-2011
How minor an issue? Is the mold growing in the wood? How large of a humidor.
[Reply]
celtic250 05:40 PM 07-22-2011
The majority of the mold was on the sticks and little on the wood. My humidor is approximately a 100 count. Here is a picture of the humidor I have:

[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:41 PM 07-22-2011
Can see the pic?
[Reply]
celtic250 05:41 PM 07-22-2011
http://www.humidorvault.com/The-Afic...um-1621-ds.htm

The picture didn't work but here is the link to my humidor. Oops
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 05:41 PM 07-22-2011
Does the mold wipe off?
[Reply]
celtic250 05:43 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Does the mold wipe off?
Yes it wipes off pretty easily. Will the vinegar/water technique work in this case?
[Reply]
T.G 05:56 PM 07-22-2011
Originally Posted by celtic250:
Yes it wipes off pretty easily. Will the vinegar/water technique work in this case?
No, because you would have to use the vinegar straight, which would damage the wood of your humidor and likely cause it to smell like vinegar for quite a long time.

The best way to combat mold is to lower the humidity in your humidor. Get it below about 68%RH and mold problems tend to go away since it's no longer humid enough for it to grow.

Wipe the moldy cigars off and just smoke them. If they are really bad, toss them. Any mold spots in the humidor, you can wipe up with a paper towel.
[Reply]
celtic250 08:56 PM 07-22-2011
I have also heard about using isopropyl alcohol/water solution to wipe down the humidor. Will this not work either?
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:22 PM 07-22-2011
Stay away from the alcohol. Adam gave you some good advice. Lower the RH and you should be fine. If you really feel the need to wipe down the humidor, do it carefully. Do not use a damp towel or rag -- the dampness can warp the wood. You also run the risk of rasing splinters in the wood that can poke your cigars...
[Reply]
celtic250 11:04 PM 07-22-2011
I am going to order some Heartfelt Beads tomorrow and was wondering should I get the 65% rh or the 60% rh ones? I was thinking the 65% but I just wanted to ask you guys first since I am new to the hobby and love to get all the advice I can from more experienced enthusiasts. Thanks for all the help!
[Reply]
Drez 11:14 PM 07-22-2011
I use the 65 beads and have never had a mold problem. Most people will exponent that you go with the 65rh beads.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 11:17 PM 07-22-2011
65% here and in like 90% of the humidors on CA too haha. Its a good median RH.
[Reply]
Weelok 02:30 AM 07-23-2011
I've used straight Isopropyl on a paper towel. Just a light rub. It evaporates immediately. Then a light rub with distilled water. Re-check humidity like your seasoning since it's been empty, i.e. Close lid and check humidity and get it stable at 65%. Re-fill with cigars.

If the mold isn't blue, just rub off the cigars and smoke.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:56 AM 07-23-2011
I'd do alcohol and no water wipe. You could also take the cigars out and keep humidor open in the sun for a day. I don't think it'll dry it out too much and kill off the mold.
[Reply]
shilala 08:45 AM 07-23-2011
What Adam said.
Be sure to realize you've got a ways to go, mold starts growing at around 80% RH. Granted, these are sticks your Dad brought to you, and you don't really know how wet they were. If they were super wet and got against the wall and piled under cigars, that may be your entire issue right there.
The beads should iron out your issue. I'd probably check the RH in the room where your smokes are and if it's down somewhere around 60% RH or lower, I'd leave the humi open a bit to let it breathe.
You may want to invest in a good digital hygrometer, as well. They carry good ones at heartfelt, I do believe. This way you can be confident you're bringing down the RH, and solving your problem.
Armed with the beads and hygrometer both, you'll be able to take care of the entire humi in case it wasn't just those cigars causing the issue.
[Reply]
celtic250 10:05 AM 07-23-2011
Thank you for all the advice. I live in Colorado so it is very dry here. I am planning on taking all the cigars out and wiping down the humidor with alcohol and then distilled water and letting it dry. Then re season it and add the 65% beads once it is good to go. Thanks!
[Reply]
Up