Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Flor Dominicana salomon maduro
Don Fernando 01:42 AM 06-24-2011
Little over a year ago I smoked this 7x64 La Flor Dominicana salomon maduro and loved it. I was very happy when they recently got released on the Dutch market. They have a price tag of € 18.50 here, which is pricy but not that bad when you look at what you get, a cigar this big and thick is a lot of tobacco and it takes a while to finish it.

I love the shape and combined with the oily and leathery wrapper that has the color of dark chocolate the shape makes the cigar looks pretty mean. To add to that mean look I see some big veins. The smell is mild though, not as strong as you would expect. The construction feels great and the predraw is fine. I taste peppery tobacco.

I taste peppery coffee with leather. The pepper is the dominant flavor. After half an inch I taste wood with that dominant pepper, the coffee and leather have disappeared. After an inch I also taste a little bit of an earthy flavor with the wood and pepper. The cigar is quite spicy too. For a few puffs I even taste some walnut.

Halfway I only taste wood with pepper again and after two thirds I taste wood, pepper and a little sour flavor, which is quite nice. The pepper moves to the aftertaste and even fades away for a bit. Wood is now the main flavor while the sourness disappears.

This cigar lasted me for little over two hours. The draw is great, and I got a lot of thick white smoke. The light colored ash is frayed but firm. I had to correct the burn a few times though. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored, don't smoke it on an empty stomach.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes, for special occasions

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:56 PM 06-24-2011
Very jealous!! Been looking for these for a few months.
[Reply]
racerX 05:09 PM 06-24-2011
Great review from the Netherlands. Thanks for taking the time to write it up. These are good but, last one I had a tight roll hence a little hard to draw. Won't stop me from trying again.
[Reply]
baddevildog82 07:51 AM 06-25-2011
I just got one of these in a trade and I am looking forward to smoking it. It was rated very highly when it first came out and I have been meaning to try it since.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 09:33 AM 06-25-2011
wow, that is one helluva ash, ferdie. i was tempted to buy one a few times - but the price (can't remember how much, but not cheap) deterred me.
[Reply]
Up