Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Coolers, Ice chest, coolidor, what purpose do they serve you?
GolfNut 09:01 AM 06-19-2011
I know a LOT of folks use coolers for overflow/long term storage. Now are you using them just because they have ample room with a good seal or do you need the insulating capabilities they offer as well or both?

There are a lot of Spouses out there that do NOT like seeing ice chests stacked up around the house so I'm planning something a little better looking. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:13 AM 06-19-2011
Ample room/worry free seal for me, Forrest.
[Reply]
Big_Ern 09:15 AM 06-19-2011
Keep my drinks cool. I don't have enough cigars to warrant having something that big yet
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:17 AM 06-19-2011
Overflow storage for me. But the worry free seal is a plus. :-)
[Reply]
markem 09:21 AM 06-19-2011
cheap, stackable storage with a solid seal
[Reply]
Ogre 09:34 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by markem:
:-)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 09:41 AM 06-19-2011
I had two that were my only storage, they kept cool in the closet and were easy to re locate.
[Reply]
OLS 09:53 AM 06-19-2011
Ice chest haven't sealed well since Coleman stopped making their steel models with the rubber seal and double action clamp.
That said, a perfect seal is not entirely useful. I have 7 ice chests in service, all using beads to maintain 'some humidity'.
I have no hygrometers in service, and my cigars are fine. I find MOST humidors to be useless. People see what a good
humidor costs and they freak out and head right to a online humidor discounter and buy something as cheap as possible,
and then complain about it's performance. I know, I are one. But I never complained out loud, just muttered to myself.

I think anyone who feels like they will outgrow a 50 count should get an ice chest, and use the 50 ct for "bout to be smoked"
cigars only.
[Reply]
GolfNut 09:58 AM 06-19-2011
Brad, your Avatar is awesome! :-) :-)
[Reply]
cort 10:19 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Ice chest haven't sealed well since Coleman stopped making their steel models with the rubber seal and double action clamp.
That said, a perfect seal is not entirely useful. I have 7 ice chests in service, all using beads to maintain 'some humidity'.
I have no hygrometers in service, and my cigars are fine. I find MOST humidors to be useless. People see what a good
humidor costs and they freak out and head right to a online humidor discounter and buy something as cheap as possible,
and then complain about it's performance. I know, I are one. But I never complained out loud, just muttered to myself.

I think anyone who feels like they will outgrow a 50 count should get an ice chest, and use the 50 ct for "bout to be smoked"
cigars only.

This post may be the smartest thing you ever said, Brad.:-)
[Reply]
Apoco 11:07 AM 06-19-2011
I used them in the past for the following reasons:

1) Relatively good seal
2) Spacious
3) Easy to find
4) C-h-e-a-p for the amount of space that you get
5) Stackable
[Reply]
longknocker 11:16 AM 06-19-2011
All My Long Term Aging, Storing Cigars Are In 3 Coolers. I Move My Ready To Go Smokes To My Waxing Moon Humidor That Keeps A Steady 63% RH. Coolidors Stay 5* Cooler Than My Humidor.:-)
[Reply]
acarr 11:19 AM 06-19-2011
I use them for beer, coke, and food on a picnic. Although, I am trying to clean one now that had something stuck in the bottom of it. So I would say that I have used them to grow mold also:-)
[Reply]
forgop 12:39 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by GolfNut:
I know a LOT of folks use coolers for overflow/long term storage. Now are you using them just because they have ample room with a good seal or do you need the insulating capabilities they offer as well or both?

There are a lot of Spouses out there that do NOT like seeing ice chests stacked up around the house so I'm planning something a little better looking. :-)
You wouldn't know of anyone that might be able to build a large sized cabinet humidor that is a little more appealing than a cooler, would you? :-):-):-)
[Reply]
hotreds 01:13 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
Originally Posted by Apoco:

1) Relatively good seal
2) Spacious
3) Easy to find
5) Stackable
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:44 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Ample room/worry free seal for me, Forrest.
Originally Posted by Apoco:

1) Relatively good seal
2) Spacious
3) Easy to find
5) Stackable
Originally Posted by hotreds:
:-):-):-)
These guys said it all for me!

:-) :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:21 PM 06-20-2011
I personally, only use humidors. I will say I have NEVER tried using a kooler so I can't say anything good or bad about them. From what I have seen & heard it is a great alternative. The one thing I will say is if it works for you great keep on truck'n... :-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 12:26 PM 06-20-2011
My cooler fits inside of my hall closet. I had to move some stuff around (tossed out the wife's crap).
[Reply]
OLS 01:33 PM 06-20-2011
Originally Posted by GolfNut:
Brad, your Avatar is awesome! :-) :-)
You want it? I am ready to go back to the smoking ant. Of course why would you want it, you have the coyote.
But if anyone needs to use it, it will be parked here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...=avatar&page=2
[Reply]
Up