Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Fuente Fuente Opus X XXX Belicoso
kaelaria 10:56 AM 06-01-2011

This 5 5/8×49 cigar otherwise known as the Power Ranger, or Triple X, or X3, features a dark brown firm and smooth wrapper with a mottled splotchy appearance, minimal veins, tight seams, even construction and a soft perfume like aroma. First light reveals a perfect draw, tons of full bodied smoke with very dry black pepper and tobacco flavors with an extremely long dry finish. You need a drink with this smoke.15 minutes in, the body is way down for an Opus X, to a solid medium while the strength is full on. It’s had a bad burn to this point, with almost an inch difference side to side and at this point needs a relight. Definitely strange for any Opus X. 40 minutes in at the 1/2 way point the flavors finally pick up a bit, adding a smooth coffee to the mix, although still very mild for an Opus X at a medium level. Burn since the relight has been just ok, needing more puffs than the usual cigar to burn properly. The ash is equally unimpressive flaking quite a bit and dropping off every 1/2 inch. 50 minutes in starting the last third, it needs another full relight. It simply does not like to stay burning and goes out on it’s own. It’s not tunnelling or burning lopsided, it just simply goes out. There has been no flavor transition since the last update point. Ending at 1:-)0 where it went out completely again with 1 1/2″ or so remaining there were no further changes. Video on the site
[Reply]
Sancho Fuente 01:07 PM 06-01-2011
For the price, I'll take an Anejo over an Opus anyday.

Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Ogre 01:13 PM 06-01-2011
It has been stated a number of times here, the Opus X needs a good 5 plus years of aging before it peaks in flavor. In my opinion a fresh Opus is "OK", an aged Opus is an awesome cigar. It just having to wait for it that sucks.
[Reply]
pnoon 01:44 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
It has been stated a number of times here, the Opus X needs a good 5 plus years of aging before it peaks in flavor. In my opinion a fresh Opus is "OK", an aged Opus is an awesome cigar. It just having to wait for it that sucks.
Larry, are you ig-nernt? Cigars are fully aged after 3 years. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ogre 01:53 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Larry, are you ig-nernt? Cigars are fully aged after 3 years. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
Is that part of the Rule of THREE's?????:-):-)
[Reply]
pnoon 01:57 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
Is that part of the Rule of THREE's?????:-):-)
Bingo!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ogre 02:01 PM 06-01-2011
I have been edgamacated!!!! I have seen the light!!!!!
[Reply]
Bill86 02:19 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sancho Fuente:

Thanks for the review.
Winner! :-)
[Reply]
baddevildog82 03:18 PM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sancho Fuente:

Thanks for the review.
I would have agreed with you 3 years ago or so, but recently the Anejo's have been going down in quality and flavor and the Opus have been getting better the last couple of years in my opinion.
[Reply]
darkninja67 09:54 AM 06-03-2011
Nice review Bryan

I like the FFOX over the Anejo easily. Far more complex and I just love the smell from the wrapper.

I like 3 years on an Opus though, 5 years is past their prime IMO.
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 10:20 AM 06-03-2011
Nice review Bryan! That cigar looks tasty!
[Reply]
Duke9192 07:59 PM 06-17-2011
Put a year or more age on any Opus X & it becomes an awesome cigar.
[Reply]
Duke9192 08:02 PM 06-17-2011
A Anjeo with any age on it is awesome as well.
My favorite Anjeo's are the shark and the #46.
One word "AWESOME"!!!!!
[Reply]
Up