RHNewfie 08:19 PM 05-30-2011
This is a fun read!

http://books.google.com/books?id=OUs...tput=html_text
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 09:21 PM 05-30-2011
Nice, thanks for the read!
[Reply]
Ranger_B 09:23 PM 05-30-2011
Thanks looks like a nice find. I think I will be reading that for a good chunk of the evening now.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:31 PM 05-30-2011
Indeed. Can't argue in the least with rule 2 myself. I think I'll use it as my answer at the b&m when asked about my small cigars.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:49 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by :
When you begin to draw your Cigar, do not stick a mere barley-corn's length of the end of it between your lips, as though you were afraid of the taste of it:—put full one half or two thirds of it into your mouth; suck lustily for a few seconds to open its pores, and thereafter it will draw delightfully. So soon as you can work it with ease, thrust it out from the interior of your mouth;
That would make the Puff-Puff-Passes quite interesting. :-)

Originally Posted by :
RULE III. Texture. The finer the leaf is in texture, the milder it will be found, generally speaking, to the palate ; the dark, rough Cigar, that feels as though it had been buried in a sepulchre of sand, is usually of a stronger flavour. But you must not judge of a Cigar entirely by its coat: pearls of little price are sometimes locked in golden caskets ; the most beautiful broadcloth often covers a ragged shirt, made

up of most " filthy dowlas;" and we have frequently found trashy tobacco folded in a most dainty leaf. The respectable manufacturers, who have a credit to lose, of course, are not guilty of this trick ; but there are rascals, you know, in all trades. Veterans in the craft, unless sure of their man, always either smoke a sample, before they buy a lot, or anatomize one to ascertain if any perilous stuff should lurk about its heart. The alleged superiority of speckled Cigars is all fiddle-de-dee!
This is not to be confused with "The Rule of 3's" :-)

If I make SoCal this year, I bid "one filthy dowla"!! :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 09:50 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Indeed. Can't argue in the least with rule 2 myself. I think I'll use it as my answer at the b&m when asked about my small cigars.
Sam Leccia has made a very comfortable living from the embodiment of Rule 2.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:53 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Sam Leccia has made a very comfortable living from the embodiment of Rule 2.
It's the sweet spot. :-)
[Reply]
Average Joe 09:55 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by :
we strongly recommend you, if you would smoke luxuriously, to illumine the butt-end of your Cigar with camel's-dung, tobacco-tinder, charcoal, or any of the usual flameless steady-burning materials, which are sold at the shops, under a dozen different names, for this purpose
Everyone called me crazy when I told them I'd get rich off camel poo, but look at me now!

Once I figure out how much I have stored I'll post a for sale thread at $40/lb.
[Reply]
Old Sailor 10:26 PM 05-30-2011
I have my own rule 0f 3.......cut....lite.....enjoy!!:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:33 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by Old Sailor:
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 10:37 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by Old Sailor:
Now that sounds like a rule of 3's we can all agree on :-)

Wait ...wait for it...

I disagree....

Punch, light, enjoy :-)
[Reply]
Average Joe 10:50 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That would make the Puff-Puff-Passes quite interesting. :-)
Do we need to start calling puff-puff-pass "doing the Lewinsky" :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:51 PM 05-30-2011
Originally Posted by Average Joe:
Do we need to start calling puff-puff-pass "doing the Lewinsky" :-)
Oogy. :-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:07 AM 05-31-2011
I have to wonder about Rule 8. I've yet to find a cigar I could smoke without clipping the cap! I guess they made them differently 100 years ago!

I too, have to agree strongly with Rule 2!! Lanceros rule for me! I have lots of left-over horse dung (from when my horse was alive). I wonder if horse dung is acceptable? Maybe if I imagine it's camel dung when I use it?
[Reply]
Nathan King 06:30 AM 05-31-2011
Interesting read. My favorite sentence is:

Originally Posted by :
If you cannot bear—aye, and enjoy —the rich smack of Havannah in your mouth, rely upon it, you have no business with Cigars

[Reply]
Average Joe 07:04 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
I have to wonder about Rule 8. I've yet to find a cigar I could smoke without clipping the cap! I guess they made them differently 100 years ago!

I too, have to agree strongly with Rule 2!! Lanceros rule for me! I have lots of left-over horse dung (from when my horse was alive). I wonder if horse dung is acceptable? Maybe if I imagine it's camel dung when I use it?
If I'm not mistaken, the later production of Opus X "***** Juice" was meant to be smoked without clipping the end. It was rolled so the smoking end would resemble some lady part.

Better description and picture here http://www.vitolas.net/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=24
[Reply]
DBall 07:28 AM 05-31-2011
Hahaha...

Originally Posted by :
a box of good Havannahs is a most delicious nosegay
:-)
[Reply]
Apoco 08:54 AM 05-31-2011
This might be the best thing I've ever read.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Eleven 11:58 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Apoco:
This might be the best thing I've ever read.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wish we all still wrote and talked like this. Not just about cigars, but in every aspect of life. In less than 200 years we have gone from absurd eloquence to absurd brevity.
[Reply]
Up