Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Guitar identification help needed please
GolfNut 09:45 PM 04-24-2011
Bought my daughter an older electric guitar this weekend, and cannot figure out what kind it is. Looks a lot like a Fender and in fact, the pickguard and control layout looks like a Strat I know it's not a Strat..had a 60's model once upon a time. (missing one control knob here) however the cord plugs into the side of the body, not the top and the peg stock is the wrong style. close to a Peavey or even an Ibanez but the serial number is 7 digits long and starts with the number 9, not a letter. The 5 pickups are throwing me too. It has the Fender sound to it, solid body, but the tips are sharper than most Fenders too. I can really use some help here. Really don't want to pull the neck on it.

It probably had a decal on the peg stock and I think the little round emblem is something a PO put on it.
Take a look at the pics and see if you can help.
ImageImageImageImageImage
[Reply]
jovenhut 09:52 PM 04-24-2011
Looks like a G&L guitar. LEo Fender sold the company and went out on his own. He made Strats with the different head stock.
[Reply]
pektel 09:57 PM 04-24-2011
Looks kind of like a yamaha.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
macsauce13 10:24 PM 04-24-2011
Originally Posted by jovenhut:
Looks like a G&L guitar. LEo Fender sold the company and went out on his own. He made Strats with the different head stock.

Yup.
[Reply]
GolfNut 10:31 PM 04-24-2011
Well I've spent all evening surfing and haven't yet found a G&L or anything else with the humbucker setup like this other than a cheapo Yamaha kit, but this has a really nice maple neck and beautiful thick rosewood fretboard on it which would probably be worth more than the walmart yamaha kit guitar by itself. Plus pickguard etc and those old school pot knobs are just like my old Fender used as well as the layout location of them. More G&L research tonight it looks like......
[Reply]
acarr 11:31 PM 04-24-2011
You can tell by the head stock. I am going to say no to G&L. Looks more like Cort. The O was the only thing of the name left on it.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 05:46 AM 04-25-2011
The headstock looks similar to a yamaha, had one almost 20 years ago so I could be wrong
[Reply]
AD720 06:18 AM 04-25-2011
Originally Posted by acarr:
You can tell by the head stock. I am going to say no to G&L. Looks more like Cort. The O was the only thing of the name left on it.
Ditto. Definitely not a G&L.

Could be a cort:

Could be a Kramer or Fernandes:

The Yamaha headstocks were a little more pointy in the 80's and a little more round in the more recent production.

Pop off the pickguard and see whats going on under there, also take off the neck and check the neck pocket.

I can tell by the cheap "box" tuners that this is an import guitar, likely Korean, likely late-80s to mid-90s. Probably a Cort, Johnson, Hondo or something along those lines. They one piece neck and the 1 volume/1 tone config is also indicative of that era of import "super-strats".

My motto is if it plays good and sounds good enjoy it!
[Reply]
Up