Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Cain Daytona corona
Don Fernando 08:36 AM 03-20-2011
This is the fourth Cain Daytona review in a series of 6. This corona measures 6x46, which makes it a bit thicker than the Cuban standard for coronas, but that's not unexpected from Studio Tobac cigars, most of them are big and fat, a corona is a rare sight. Other thin cigars are the Cain F lancero and the Cain Daytona #4.

The latte colored wrapper has a lot of veins. The construction feels good and I smell a strong barnyard smell. The predraw is fine, I taste chili peppers.

I taste an earthy flavor with a lot of pepper and a sugarwater sweetness. There is also pepper in the aftertaste and on my tongue. After half an inch I taste pepper, wood and the sugerwater sweetness, the sweetness is mild though but grows a bit in strength, it also changes to honey instead of sugarwater. The pepper gets more refined. After an inch I taste wood and nuts as a support to the honey and a mild chili pepper, the flavors are beautiful and subtle.

After a third I taste a little bit of chocolate with the pepper, the pepper is strong but not dominant. The mixture of all flavors is well balanced. Halfway the chocolate and honey disappear, I taste herbs, wood and some pepper. After two thirds the chili pepper grows in strength and the sugerwater sweetness returns. The pepper slowly gains more strength.

The smoke duration of this cigar was an hour and thirty five minutes for me. The draw is great, but I had to correct the burn a few times. The silver gray ash has some black spots on it, it looks coarse and is medium firm. I got plenty of thick smoke. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes!

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
replicant_argent 09:26 AM 03-20-2011
When you say you taste chili peppers, does that mean it has the kick of a chicken wing? Or is it more subtle, like a small vat of vegetarian chili?
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 09:27 AM 03-20-2011
Sounds like one to definately try. Thanks for the review Ferdinand.
[Reply]
gbum 08:36 AM 09-10-2011
just smoke one last nite...
my palate still not so good... but i do agree with ferdie on the pepper,sweetness,and a bit of herbs... kind da new to my taste bud..
nice smoke just i prefer bigger rg...

[Reply]
irratebass 08:45 AM 09-10-2011
I just received one this week in a trade with Eric, I like how the band is at the bottom, a little different...:-)
[Reply]
gbum 08:49 AM 09-10-2011
yup,also easier to remove than the regular ban.. :-)
[Reply]
RCS44 04:29 PM 09-10-2011
These are great cigars. I attended a Studio Tobac event, i purchased two boxes of the corona's. This is the best size that the Daytona is made in.
[Reply]
Newbie_nick 09:04 AM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by RCS44:
These are great cigars. I attended a Studio Tobac event, i purchased two boxes of the corona's. This is the best size that the Daytona is made in.
I'm usually a larger RG fan, too, but I've heard that the corona is the best size for experiencing the fullest flavor. I'd probably go with that size here, too.

I might have to pick up a 5-er of these. They look great!
[Reply]
Ogre 11:23 AM 09-13-2011
Great cigars!!! I bought a box.
[Reply]
Killian 12:06 PM 09-13-2011
Awesome review! Sounds like these have a fairly unique flavor profile. I am going to grab some of these and some #4s as soon as I get the chance.
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:17 PM 09-13-2011
A few people are talking about larger ring gauges, I have tried the double toro 60 (I think that was the size) and I believe it would have been more enjoyable in a smaller stick. It was still pretty good though. I didn't pick up any peppers but I was much less experienced when I had these. I believe I still have one, might have to try and find this flavor profile.

Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
Up