Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo
Don Fernando 03:31 PM 03-01-2011
If you read my reviews often, you might know that I strongly dislike Connecticut shade wrappers. They all taste musty to me. So when I got this 6½x52 Oliva Connecticut Reserve torpedo for review purposes I was anticipating a bad review, although I remembered that the Oliva Connecticut Reserve toro wasn't bad at all for a Connecticut shade wrapped cigar.

The light colored wrapper has a few veins but I can't say it's oily. The cigar has a mild barnyard and spices smell. The construction is great, as always with Oliva. The predraw is fine, I taste raisin with a peppery aftertaste.

I taste that so recognizable musty Connecticut shade flavor with some chocolate like sweetness and coffee. There are some herbs in the aftertaste. For a Connecticut shade wrapper, this isn't bad at all. After half an inch I taste a bit of hay, the coffee has disappeared. I still taste a little bit of chocolate and I also taste some nuts.

After an inch I taste mild musty herbs and some pepper. On the background I taste some musty milk chocolate. Halfway hay becomes the main flavor with some herbs and spices as support. After two thirds the cigar gets a little more bite. Herbs and pepper are the main flavors now.

This cigar lasted me for seventy five minutes. The draw is great and I got plenty of thick smoke. The pepper and salt colored ash is ugly, frayed but firm. I had to correct the burn a few times. This cigar is medium to full flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, even though this cigar is much better compared to other Connecticut shade cigars it still is a Connecticut shade wrapper which I don't like

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:33 PM 03-01-2011
Not one of my favs either.
[Reply]
borndead1 03:22 PM 03-08-2011
I like these a lot, but they need humi time, which is odd for a mild Connecticut wrap cigar.

Amazingly, I prefer the cheap-o Flor De Oliva Gold.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 12:44 PM 03-09-2011
One of my favorite Connie wrapped cigars, but I prefer the Robo. Nice review Ferdie!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 04:27 PM 03-09-2011
I will prefer a Oliva O maddy anyday of the week....thanks again brother
[Reply]
G G 04:31 PM 03-09-2011
Thanks for the review, I aint much of a connie fan either.
[Reply]
Up