Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Can you re-season a humidor
djadams35 10:48 AM 02-15-2011
This might seem like a dumb question, but a friend gave me an old humidor of his that hasn't been used in about 1 1/2 years.

Is this safe to use? Should I go through the seasoning process or just try it and monitor the humidity for a few weeks to make sure it holds?

Any ideas would be helpful.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 10:50 AM 02-15-2011
No reason you can't. You may want to lightly sand the inside with a high grit-count sandpaper to open up the pores of the wood first. Although, unless the humi is really old, it shouldn't even need the sanding,
[Reply]
T.G 10:52 AM 02-15-2011
Absolutely. You can re-season it and put it back into use no problem.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:52 AM 02-15-2011
Re-season & go.
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 10:53 AM 02-15-2011
I Would Definitely Re-Season It Before Placing My Cigars Inside. Hopefully Will Work Well! Keep Us Posted!:-)
[Reply]
djadams35 11:04 AM 02-15-2011
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Its only a ~20-25 humi, but its in good condition and clean. I've just never let my other humidor got 30 months with out caring for it so I wasn't sure.
[Reply]
ucla695 11:21 AM 02-15-2011
I've reseasoned a desktop for overflow. Worked as well as it did the first time. :-)
[Reply]
emopunker2004 11:24 AM 02-15-2011
Yessssss
[Reply]
TBone 11:43 AM 02-15-2011
Yesss re-season, I just did one of mine and she's holding strong.
[Reply]
STEVE S 02:10 PM 02-15-2011
Yes, by all means re-season and use it.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:22 PM 02-15-2011
I too recently re-seasoned my desktop left a half full glass of distilled water in there for like....2 months. Didn't mean to but it's working much better :-) Smells very good too.
[Reply]
EricF 03:41 PM 02-15-2011
No reason why you can't.

Pretend it's new!
[Reply]
T.G 06:22 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I too recently re-seasoned my desktop left a half full glass of distilled water in there for like....2 months. Didn't mean to but it's working much better :-) Smells very good too.

I just reseasoned one of mine with lemon, pepper, paprika and oregano. My cigars all smell like they were made by Lars Tetens now....
[Reply]
Bill86 06:38 PM 02-15-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I just reseasoned one of mine with lemon, pepper, paprika and oregano. My cigars all smell like they were made by Lars Tetens now....
Damn that sounds tasty :-) I'm hungry for chicken now.

Last time I went with one of your ideas I flushed a hygro in the toilet this one has got to be ever better!
[Reply]
joeobx 07:41 PM 02-15-2011
Damn that sounds tasty :-) I'm hungry for chicken now.

Last time I went with one of your ideas I flushed a hygro in the toilet this one has got to be ever better!
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
bigdix 03:56 AM 02-16-2011
No such thing as a dumb question. This is how we learn things...would have been silly NOT to ask. That being said, go with the great advice above...reseason and use it! It's always nice to have a desktop (small or otherwise) to use for overflow...I keep one ready to go for just that purpose...sometimes my singles tray gets a little full in the Vino. Good luck!! :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 05:53 PM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by joeobx:
:-):-):-)
In reality the hygro wasn't working anyway. You could say it got "fixed". I found though you have to actually flush the toilet otherwise it still reads an incorrect reading (numbers show up). The flushing really helps fix it (make it completely not work, call it more accurate)
[Reply]
captain53 05:55 PM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by bigdix:
No such thing as a dumb question. This is how we learn things...would have been silly NOT to ask. That being said, go with the great advice above...reseason and use it! It's always nice to have a desktop (small or otherwise) to use for overflow...I keep one ready to go for just that purpose...sometimes my singles tray gets a little full in the Vino. Good luck!! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
joeobx 06:31 PM 02-16-2011
In reality the hygro wasn't working anyway. You could say it got "fixed". I found though you have to actually flush the toilet otherwise it still reads an incorrect reading (numbers show up). The flushing really helps fix it (make it completely not work, call it more accurate)
I'm not EVEN gonna ask why you were standing over/sitting on a toilet with a hygrometer.:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 12:21 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by joeobx:
I'm not EVEN gonna ask why you were standing over/sitting on a toilet with a hygrometer.:-)
1. The hygrometer was broken and free.
2. T.G made a joke about dropping them in the toilet because most hygros work for sh!t and said it would work better. (he's probably right)
3. I'm a complete and utter jackass and I thought it would be funny if I took his joke post seriously. Realizing it was supposed to make the hygro not work by just dropping it in water I had to flush the toilet to get the full desired effect.

And to stay on topic here's a humidor I found that isn't a very good one at all but I figured I'd season it anyways
[Reply]
Up