Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Cat-eye: Different kind of cut?
mobarbq 07:20 AM 01-23-2011
I'm not familiar with this one. Maybe someone who uses this technique can fill me in.
Saw a cutter in a catalog (Finck's) that is a hybrid of sorts; it makes guillotine cuts on each side with different ring gauges and also has a "cat's-eye" slot for making those kinds of cuts.
Not a V-cutter, I know about those.

Is there a particular type of cigar (maybe chisels?) that this is made for? Anyone use one of these? I would guess maybe someone from Texas.
[Reply]
Ogre 07:23 AM 01-23-2011
Thats a new one on me. Sound interesting.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:26 AM 01-23-2011
got a pic?
[Reply]
mobarbq 08:02 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
got a pic?
My scanner is acting up. I'll try taking one with digital camera and see if it comes out. It is in their latest catalog, if anyone has it.

Hang on and see what I can do.

Also, everybody, don't forget, BlowinSmoke is taping a podcast today, you can follow on Twitter. 1230ish ET
[Reply]
ajacobs 08:03 AM 01-23-2011
I know which cutter your talking about. A cats eye cut is a v-cut. The cutter just isn't shapped like other v-cutters - it is on the side.
[Reply]
mobarbq 08:06 AM 01-23-2011
I looked further and found it on their website. They call it a Super Combo 3 in 1 cutter. http://www.finckcigarcompany.com/pro...r_combo_3-in-1
[Reply]
mobarbq 08:09 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by ajacobs:
I know which cutter your talking about. A cats eye cut is a v-cut. The cutter just isn't shapped like other v-cutters - it is on the side.
Well, that's what I wondered. The pic in their catalog looks clearer than the online pic; it looks to me like the cut it leaves was more of a "slit," maybe somewhat like a cat looks when his eyes do that slit thing?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 08:13 AM 01-23-2011
Originally Posted by mobarbq:
Well, that's what I wondered. The pic in their catalog looks clearer than the online pic; it looks to me like the cut it leaves was more of a "slit," maybe somewhat like a cat looks when his eyes do that slit thing?
Yeah, fairly sure its closer to a v-cut than a real "cats-eye". I'm not sure how you would make it taper on both ends.
[Reply]
Shemp Howard 12:10 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by mobarbq:
I would guess maybe someone from Texas.
And just why would you say something like this? :-)
[Reply]
tx_tuff 10:07 AM 01-24-2011
Since I'm from Texas I will add my $.02 ha ha. That is a V-Cut, and to me doesn't look like a very good one. The "Cats Eye" looks like it would be deep enough from the picture of the cutter but I have seen this cutter be used before and the V cut on it isn't deep or wide enough. Also I would never buy a cutter with a single guillotine blade, they just don't do the job very well.

If you want a cheap V cutter that works great get the Wolf V cutter, they go for around $10 or under and it has the best blade you can find for a V cutter. If you want to spend more money Xikar now makes pretty much the same cutter as the Wolf in a metal frame, Xikar VX. Can't go wrong with either one of them.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:13 AM 01-24-2011
The interesting thing I see is that with this cutter the V cut is not limited to only the cap. You can V cut a torp, or maybe even a chisel with this cutter.
[Reply]
mobarbq 06:14 PM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard:
And just why would you say something like this? :-)
Well, Finck's is located in San Antonio, Texas, so I figured maybe someone who lives in Texas might have seen one of them and could give us a report.
[Reply]
cigarlvr 07:34 PM 01-24-2011
Love the V cut with a torpedo never thought I would until a friend hooked me up
[Reply]
ajacobs 07:47 PM 01-24-2011
When I first started smoking cigars, v-cutters wasn't used I don't think as a term - they were all called cats eye cutters.
[Reply]
Up