OHRD 06:36 AM 01-13-2011
Size: 4 3/8×42, Petit Corona (No. 5)

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 25, $163

Grade: 9.2

We have another collaboration between Pete Johnson of Tatuaje and Don Pepin and Jamie Garcia, the La Riqueza, which is interpreted the riches in Spanish. Somewhat unique for Tatuaje, this cigar contains no ligero and a bit less bodied than his normal offerings. The La Riqueza is available in ten sizes:

No. 1 Lonsdale (6×42), No. 2 Belicoso Fino (5×52), No. 3 Corona Gorda (5 5/8×46), No. 4 Robusto (5×48), and No. 5 Petit Corona (4 3/8×42), cabinet versions of Nos. 2, 4, and 5 in the same sizes, a Petit Robusto Cabinet (4 1/3×52), and a Double Corona Cabinet (7 5/8×49).
For an illustrated size chart visit the Tatuaje website.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper is medium to dark brown in color and is supposedly from the Oliva Tobacco Company. As with most Tatuaje cigars, the wrapper is rustic – splotchy, leathery, raised veins, dry exterior. It carries a slight box press, has solid construction, and no soft spots. The foot is very well formed and top bears a customary triple cap. This is a very appealing cigar. The aroma is sweet and creamy with a hint of Nicaraguan spice at the foot and some chalky notes that remind me of the new version El Triunfador. The draw is open and smooth, and the flavor is muted other than a mild spice.

Burn, 1.8:
The La Riqueza has an excellent draw and produces a very thick and aromatic smoke. The burn line is spot on for the majority of the smoke, though in one sample I encountered some bad trailing about two-thirds in, but not a big deal.

Flavor, 2.8:
The initial burst is of sweet spice that is short on the finish but thick and syrupy. Moving into the first third, there is a chalky undertone that reminds me of the new version El Triunfador, as mentioned above, though slightly less so. There is a sweet cedar that is also present and a very mild spice. The body is medium, while the strength is fairly mild through the first third. There are even some very mild, dry floral notes in this portion. Moving toward the second third, the spice picks up slightly but is remains mild by Pepin standards. The smoke is fairly dry and dense in this portion. Moving in the final stretch, there is not a great deal of transition, but just a solid tobacco flavor, a mild spice, and a dry sweetness that has notes of syrup. Overall, this is fairly earthy cigar with a lot to speak of flavor wise.

Overall, 2.8:
The best way I can describe this, based on my palate, is a slightly amped up version of the new El Triunfador. I really enjoyed this smoke, and I’m glad that I have a few more on hand. The price is reasonable, which can be found for around $6.50 online and $8-9 locally, and the consistency is hard to match. It has an engaging flavor profile, an excellent burn, and is a joy to smoke.

(Total: 9.2)

[Reply]
jonumberone 06:40 AM 01-13-2011
Great review Matthew!

I love La Ricky's and think the #5 is the best.
[Reply]
muhren 06:45 AM 01-13-2011
Nice review!

I'll have to get my hands on some No. 5 (I always tend to like that size) as I've only had a bunch of No. 2s.

M
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:32 AM 01-13-2011
Thanks for this review--another Tat to add to my list of cigars to try!
[Reply]
MarioF 07:37 AM 01-13-2011
Great review, the couple I have had have been very good!
[Reply]
boom 07:38 AM 01-13-2011
I agree... great smoke and thanks for the review...
[Reply]
Ranger_B 11:34 AM 01-13-2011
My favorite in the size I think. Then again this is one of those blends that is great in many sizes. Great review
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:27 PM 01-13-2011
Nice review Matthew. I cannot seem to get into these.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:30 PM 01-13-2011
Great Review!:-) One Of My Fav. Tats; Never Had A Bad One!:-)
[Reply]
DennisP 12:30 PM 01-13-2011
I've only had the No. 5, but it was a very good smoke. If only they were comparable in price to similar sized CC's.
[Reply]
longknocker 12:31 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
It's Not Dark Enough For You!:-)
[Reply]
rizzle 12:41 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
They don't do it for me either, bro. I've tried to like them and just don't. Although, I do think the larger sizes are a little better, but not enough to make me buy them.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 01:04 PM 01-13-2011
Nice review, spot on with the complex sweetness. These are one of my favorite smokes:-)
[Reply]
Mr B 01:09 PM 01-13-2011
Great review Matthew. This is one of my Top 10 sticks. Especially with a year or more on them. These really improve over time. They are good fresh but great with age.
I agree with the syrupy, floral notes. Also that it is less spicy. It has more of a Cinnamon and nutmeg spice which I enjoy very much in my Med strength sticks.

Thanks again.
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:53 AM 11-20-2011
Smoked one of these the other night and was turned off by the sweetness flavors I was picking up. I tried to get through the whole thing but just couldn't do it. Just wasn't my cup of tea...
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 12:07 PM 11-20-2011
Excellent review on one of my favorites; smoked one earlier today and it was delicious. :-)
[Reply]
Up