Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Auto repair adventure...
BC-Axeman 10:23 AM 01-07-2011
...or "Why I do it myself"

A front wheel bearing is going out on our F250 4x4. A VERY simple thing to repair. I could get the parts online for about $230 (whole hub assy.) and replace it during my lunch break. But... I have a breakdown insurance policy (extended warranty). It's a free repair. So I took the truck in Wed. morning, first one there. I signed the paper and the mechanic took the truck right in. Two hours later the service adviser called and said my warranty company has to send my claim to a "review board" for approval. Friday, not done yet. It turns out (after a bunch of phone calls) that the "insurance claim review board" is a California gov't agency, and that the warranty co. would have approved the repair right away and I would have got my truck the same afternoon. WHY am I paying a GOV'T AGENCY to f__k with my warranty contract?
I hate California. GRRRR!:-)
[Reply]
forgop 11:09 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
...or "Why I do it myself"

A front wheel bearing is going out on our F250 4x4. A VERY simple thing to repair. I could get the parts online for about $230 (whole hub assy.) and replace it during my lunch break. But... I have a breakdown insurance policy (extended warranty). It's a free repair. So I took the truck in Wed. morning, first one there. I signed the paper and the mechanic took the truck right in. Two hours later the service adviser called and said my warranty company has to send my claim to a "review board" for approval. Friday, not done yet. It turns out (after a bunch of phone calls) that the "insurance claim review board" is a California gov't agency, and that the warranty co. would have approved the repair right away and I would have got my truck the same afternoon. WHY am I paying a GOV'T AGENCY to f__k with my warranty contract?
I hate California. GRRRR!:-)
Just wait until they further extend such great service with our health care.
[Reply]
cricky101 11:36 AM 01-07-2011
Any more info than "insurance claim review board"? I can't find anything like that via Google.
[Reply]
357 11:38 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
Are you suggesting the government isn't a cure-all for everything?
[Reply]
bobarian 12:01 PM 01-07-2011
I'm beginning to get an itch. IBTL
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:11 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Any more info than "insurance claim review board"? I can't find anything like that via Google.
That's all I got. After doing a search through the CDI I think there may be some kind of review of this company taking place. One lady I talked to on the phone said "you must be in California, they are making us do this". Maybe just my bad luck.
[Reply]
cricky101 12:20 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
That's all I got. After doing a search through the CDI I think there may be some kind of review of this company taking place. One lady I talked to on the phone said "you must be in California, they are making us do this". Maybe just my bad luck.
Thanks for the update. I'm researching extended warranties for my car - my manufacturer's warranty is just about up - and hadn't seen anything like that before. I guess it would make sense if there was some kind of investigation of the company happening ... but still stinks that you get caught in the middle of it.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 12:28 PM 01-07-2011
Read the policy closely. I was surprised to find out emissions devices are not covered on mine. The OEM warranty covers these well on most cars but not on heavier duty trucks. A lot of money can be spent diagnosing and repairing emissions problems.
[Reply]
mmblz 12:35 PM 01-07-2011
Just wait until we start banning people for ignoring our "no politics" rule.
[Reply]
68TriShield 12:49 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by mmblz:
:-)
[Reply]
forgop 01:46 PM 01-07-2011
If my comment was that egregious, please delete it.
[Reply]
pnoon 02:51 PM 01-07-2011
Or, in the spirit of cooperation, you could refrain from making such posts in the first place.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 03:06 PM 01-07-2011
It doesn't have to be "egregious", Duane....we don't allow political commentary on CA.
[Reply]
Eleven 04:00 PM 01-07-2011
I gotta ask:

If Duane's comment was political commentary, then why wasn't Lance's?
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 04:00 PM 01-07-2011
I should not have vented my frustration at the (mostly non-political) bureaucracies in Calif. here as it tends to be borderline political from the start. Life is full of hurdles and obstacles and things that are common sense and simple are made more difficult the more third parties get involved. I really am not even sure the rep I talked to knew what she was talking about, or told the truth.
Here is a link to the CDI: http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0500-abo...-organization/
Check out the "'Brief Overview". This is the non-political gov't bureaucracy in charge of the insurance industry in Calif. It looks like they do a lot of good things, but who can tell what all is their reach.
I strongly dislike my home state of California for many reasons, more all the time. I am not alone.
Please don't ban anyone because of my thread.
[Reply]
pnoon 04:49 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Eleven:
I gotta ask:

If Duane's comment was political commentary, then why wasn't Lance's?
I am happy to answer that.

I see a huge difference between a venting about general bureaucracy versus a jab at health care reform which is an obviously political statement.

You asked for an explanation and I've provided one. For everyone, I do not want to publicly argue or debate the interpretation. I just wanted to address Scott's question. Further inquiries should be done via PM.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:36 AM 01-08-2011
Julian FTW! :-)
[Reply]
justonemorestick 11:34 AM 01-08-2011
Politics aside Unless the auto repair insurance was funded by the state of Kalifornia it sounds fishy that the state would have any say in reviewing any claims against it.
[Reply]
shark 11:58 AM 01-08-2011
{{sorry for the partial threadjack}}

Wheel bearing trouble? Ugh. I had mine replaced on my car a while ago, now I suspect the driver side one is making noise, WAYYY before the amount of miles expected for them to fail. It makes a kind of loud, roaring sound from the left wheel area at freeway speeds. No looseness though when I jack the front end up and check, though.

{{threadjack off. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming}}
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 01:51 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by shark:
It makes a kind of loud, roaring sound from the left wheel area at freeway speeds. No looseness though when I jack the front end up and check, though.
That doesn't sound good. It could just be something rubbing. Bearings and CV joints in the front usually change sound under different steering at constant speed. Brakes grind and squeal. Anything on the engine changes with revs. Transmission sounds follow the changes of gear and load. Rear wheel bearing sounds are less steering dependent. You should be able to tell by jacking up the wheel and turning it.
[Reply]
Up