Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Active or passive humidification?
Neens 12:01 AM 01-07-2011
I know it gets asked alot and I'm sorry but here goes. I'm going to be building a new humidor and plan to start in about a week or two. It's going have about 10-11 cubic feet of space. So it would need like 5 or 6 lbs of beads or some kind of active system, I'm just not sure which. I'm thinking there are people here who know much more than I do so I might as well put it out there. Also if active what types should I be looking at? Thanks for the help guys.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:12 AM 01-07-2011
Most large cabinets have active systems. I would contact Bob Staebell at Aristocrat Humidors regarding his Set and Forget system. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:12 AM 01-07-2011
For something that you might want to look into a Cigar Oasis or similar type of active humidification. The beads might be more work than needed during the winter months.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:15 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Most large cabinets have active systems. I would contact Bob Staebell at Aristocrat Humidors regarding his Set and Forget system. :-)
Do you think the Set and Forget could be overkill for a humi of only 10 cubic feet, Bob? Maybe I am picturing the size wrong in my head. :-)
[Reply]
RonC 06:56 AM 01-07-2011
an avallo 1200 is roughly 10 cu ft. active is certainly not overkill. in fact, a lot of our customers use a pound of beads along with the provided electronic accumonitor.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:11 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Do you think the Set and Forget could be overkill for a humi of only 10 cubic feet, Bob? Maybe I am picturing the size wrong in my head. :-)
Right on the border, Admiral. A MoistNAir could probably handle 10cuft but an Oasis would probably have a hard time. :-)
[Reply]
DennisP 12:48 PM 01-07-2011
The Cigar Oasis XL Plus goes up to 10 cu. ft. I'd go with that and 1 lb beads, or similar.
[Reply]
Volusianator 12:52 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Neens:
I'm going to be building a new humidor and plan to start in about a week or two.
First off, good luck with your build. My only advice, know for sure what your humidification is before you start the project. Much easier to plan ahead than to redesign midstream.
[Reply]
Neens 02:04 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Volusianator:
First off, good luck with your build. My only advice, know for sure what your humidification is before you start the project. Much easier to plan ahead than to redesign midstream.
Thanks. I'm going to get my system in hand before I start building. I'm thinking the shell will be about 33 high 25 wide and 25 deep to give you a better idea
[Reply]
icehog3 03:08 PM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Right on the border, Admiral. A MoistNAir could probably handle 10cuft but an Oasis would probably have a hard time. :-)
Thanks Bob....got a decent idea of the size after looking at Ron's site. :-)
[Reply]
Bubba - NJ 08:20 PM 01-07-2011
I have a Hydra LG and am not very happy with it(sent 1st one back) . I paid less then half of what they sell for at CI(got it from Cbid). It takes the humidity reading right at the unit which means other areas of your cabinet wont be the same humidity . I did modify it as Waffle did mention in his thread and it is a bit better . Mold was growing on the floral foam after a month so that has been replaced with water beads . I also have about 2lbs of Heartfelt beads inside my cabinet that really helps to stabilize humidity . The Aristocrat set and forget system is probably worth the money for piece of mind .
[Reply]
Neens 03:01 PM 01-10-2011
Thanks for the advice guys. I talked to a few builders and picked out a system. I'm thinking I will also be putting some beads in it help out.
[Reply]
justonemorestick 04:29 PM 01-10-2011
I think you are beyond passive beads. At least for the primary Humidification perhaps a couple of lbs of beads/KL to assist but I am not aware of anywhere that a passive system is used on such a large scale.
[Reply]
Neens 09:38 PM 01-10-2011
Ya I am putting in an active system and then im doing to put some beads around to help it out.
[Reply]
Up