Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Goviado Black Label Petite Corona
Emjaysmash 11:48 AM 12-29-2010

I purchased a box of these early October of this year, so they have been in the humidor around 2 months.

Goviado Black PC

Vitola: Petite Corona
Size: 4 x 40
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Rosado
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Long Filler Nicaraguan

Appearance:
Mottled medium brown wrapper, with a decent but not perfect cap.

Flavor Notes:
Woodsy leather undertone, creamy on the palate. Sharp acrid ammonia flavor on finish and through nose. Slight hint of spiciness like black pepper.

Aroma:
Aroma is nice, like cedar.

Overall Impression: This is a good size for those of us who deal with frigid temperatures here in the north. Unfortunately these little cigars have a lot of nice flavors that are drowned by the acrid ammonia flavor that is present. It is safe to say these need more time. I'm hoping they'll turn out to be the cigars I expected in a few months.
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:57 AM 12-29-2010
Nice review, Mikey. Maybe you could revisit them in the Spring and let us know how they are then.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:15 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
Nice review, Mikey. Maybe you could revisit them in the Spring and let us know how they are then.
Oh I definitely will!
[Reply]
Bunker 12:24 PM 12-29-2010
That's pretty much what I got out the couple you sent me.

They may just be perfect for next winter if you can wait that long (I know I couldn't :-))
[Reply]
Salvelinus 12:32 PM 12-29-2010
That's funny, I smoked a couple ROTT and didn't get the ammonia at all. I liked 'em a lot, especially because it is freezing outside.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:34 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
That's funny, I smoked a couple ROTT and didn't get the ammonia at all. I liked 'em a lot, especially because it is freezing outside.
I'm not quite sure what it was. I smoked one as well ROTT, but I don't remember it being that acrid.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:07 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Overall Impression: This is a good size for those of us who deal with frigid temperatures here in the north. Unfortunately these little cigars have a lot of nice flavors that are drowned by the acrid ammonia flavor that is present. It is safe to say these need more time. I'm hoping they'll turn out to be the cigars I expected in a few months.
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
I'm not quite sure what it was. I smoked one as well ROTT, but I don't remember it being that acrid.
Fresh cigars are excellent. The differing flavors are sharp and distinct. Then, 5 days to 3 months later, an amonia flavor/smell can develop as the different leaves start meld. That acrid/amonia flavor can remain for a couple months to a year.

I'd say that these could be great after they've gone through the melding period a bit.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:43 PM 12-29-2010
Nice review MJ!! :-)
[Reply]
sofaman 05:47 AM 12-30-2010
These are very good PC's I cant get enough of them :-)
[Reply]
Up