Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Adirondack Chair Project
thebayratt 05:11 PM 12-18-2010
I was bored at work one day this week. Picked up a book that was laying around my office and it was plans for outdoor furniture. It was a fellow co-worker's. I asked if I could flip through it, if I found a project I liked could I make a few copies of it; he said sure, no problem!
I found a few plans I figured I could do while I was off on my vacation time. One lady in my office said if I built her two she would pay me for it. I figured it would be an easy way to make a little extra cash.

This first plan I picked to build was a adirondack chair. Nothing too flashy, but very functional. It took me about two hours to make the cuts and assemble a few sections, a few hours another day finishing up the assembly of it, and a little bit today sanding the edges off. I still have to fill in the screw holes and paint. That will be another day.

Here is the almost final project.

I think it turned out fairly well for my first time. Going to try and make about 6 more in the next few weeks, weather permiting. My neighbors are wanting a pair for them for each other for Christmas. So, looks like I got to get busy on them quick!
[Reply]
Volusianator 05:16 PM 12-18-2010
Very nice work, those are good projects to get your feet wet in woodworking.

For another idea, consider Teak, Western Redwood Cedar or even Cyprus for an alternative that you don't have to paint. All are pretty weather resistant and will bring that chair to the next level. Keep up the good work!

Wade
[Reply]
markem 05:25 PM 12-18-2010
Sweet! I love those chairs - comfy and you can put and ashtray and a drink on the arms. Be sure to seal it well, esp. on the feet to prevent and mold or rot getting started.
[Reply]
Ogre 05:36 PM 12-18-2010
Vary nice, I have considered doing something like that myself. Keep it up, maybe a Source of cigar revenue.
[Reply]
thebayratt 05:44 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by Ogre3239:
Vary nice, I have considered doing something like that myself. Keep it up, maybe a Source of cigar revenue.
As I did too.
These things go for about $150 in stores.... I cost me less than half!
Me and a buddy are talking about making a few chairs, tables, and such and going to a local flea market to see if we can turn a little extra money.

Originally Posted by markem:
Sweet! I love those chairs - comfy and you can put and ashtray and a drink on the arms. Be sure to seal it well, esp. on the feet to prevent and mold or rot getting started.
I am going to paint them with a good exterior paint. A stain would work, but there are two or three different types of wood in them, and the stain wouldn't be uniform throughout it.

Originally Posted by Volusianator:
Very nice work, those are good projects to get your feet wet in woodworking.

For another idea, consider Teak, Western Redwood Cedar or even Cyprus for an alternative that you don't have to paint. All are pretty weather resistant and will bring that chair to the next level. Keep up the good work!

Wade
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of building some in cedar, once I get the bugs worked out of the plans.
[Reply]
guitar4001 07:37 PM 12-18-2010
those things are great and comfy. One fo our supply guys was handy with the tools and he crafted several for one of our buildings. very cool
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:06 PM 12-18-2010
I have had good luck at flea markets with them in the past. Nice work. You can find all kind of variants online to give them shaker/mission/etc type flairs to them. Keep on posting its great to see how talented the inmates around here are.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:31 PM 12-18-2010
Great looking chair Shawn!:-)
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:27 AM 12-19-2010
I love adirondack chairs! They are the best for holding drinks and remind me of summer! Keep up the good work....if only you made these in my neck of the woods.
[Reply]
thebayratt 10:26 AM 12-20-2010
Built one more for my "poofy" neighbor.

[Reply]
thebayratt 04:47 PM 12-22-2010
Plugged the screw holes and sanded everything down to a smooth finish. Sanded with 100 grit then 180 grit to smooth finish. The edges are rounded off so its not rough.
Then I got some tinted int/ext primer. I got it tinted a dark red, so the final red will pop out nicely.
These are pics of the primer coat.

[Reply]
Up