Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Messy Ash
Springsman 01:03 PM 12-06-2010
Newbie question for you...so in regards to Ash. I see that the holding of a good ash is quite desirable, even invoking a contest on here for longest ash...
Today I smoked an Arganese...and I have to say it's been the messiest thing I've ever smoked...it holds absolutely no ash to itself, instead preferring to sprinkle it liberally and generously among the floor, table and my lap in untold numbers of tiny flakes...
What is this about...what makes a good cigar hold its ash...and one that doesn't?
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 01:14 PM 12-06-2010
it can be due to the construction of the cigar, as well as the humidity of the cigar that the time.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:00 PM 12-06-2010
It all depends upon whether any of my clothes are "ash magnets". Unfortunately, most are... :-)

Really, like MH said, construction (including the quality of the tobacco) and humidity play a huge part. The humidity affects the way a cigar smokes if the RH that the cigar was stored at is a lot different from the RH when/where you smoke the cigar.
[Reply]
Springsman 02:16 PM 12-06-2010
hmm, ok thanks fellas....I've always known I'm an ash magnet...no wait that was something else.

I'm going to go with quality of the cigar, since I've smoked many others now out of my humi, and they've all produced much better burns/ash. The two Arganese's I've smoked have both been messy marvin's.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:22 PM 12-06-2010
Originally Posted by Springsman:
hmm, ok thanks fellas....I've always known I'm an ash magnet...no wait that was something else.

I'm going to go with quality of the cigar, since I've smoked many others now out of my humi, and they've all produced much better burns/ash. The two Arganese's I've smoked have both been messy marvin's.
I don't believe Arganese is known for their construction. This can also happen with mixed or short filler cigars, but since arganese is not either of those it's safe to say the construction is less than spectacular.
[Reply]
Ismith75 04:49 PM 12-06-2010
Ring gauge also seems to play a role I've found.
[Reply]
justonemorestick 07:35 AM 12-07-2010
I have had that problem from time to time on many different sticks sometimes it looks like I have been sprinkled with the ashtray If you keep an eye on it and roll off /blow off as needed it shouldnt be a problem.
[Reply]
T.G 09:09 AM 12-07-2010
"Messy Ash"?

Nah, too easy....
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:19 AM 12-07-2010
I have smoked plenty of Arganese and I can tell you that I have had little problem with them holding their ash! Most will hold an ash more than halfway through a cigar.

I haven't smoked one with mixed fillers either. All have been long filler.

I'm curious about the vitola. The PCs don't hold ash as well as the big guys. If it was a bigger cigar... I would go with storage as the issue.

Construction isn't the issue with Arganese... I'll leave it there!
:-)

As far as ash goes... Long ash proves nothing about quality.:-)
[Reply]
Ismith75 09:26 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
I have smoked plenty of Arganese and I can tell you that I have had little problem with them holding their ash! Most will hold an ash more than halfway through a cigar.

I haven't smoked one with mixed fillers either. All have been long filler.

I'm curious about the vitola. The PCs don't hold ash as well as the big guys. If it was a bigger cigar... I would go with storage as the issue.

As far as ash goes... Long ash proves nothing about quality.:-)
:-) I bought a 40 pack of unbanded Arganese for $20 on the Devil Site about 6 months ago. I was looking for some yard gars and ended up with a really decent smoke after some down time. Construction is awesome considering the price...stays lit, steady burn, solid ash. Best 50 cent cigar I've smoked!
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:32 AM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Ismith75:
:-) I bought a 40 pack of unbanded Arganese for $20 on the Devil Site about 6 months ago. I was looking for some yard gars and ended up with a really decent smoke after some down time. Construction is awesome considering the price...stays lit, steady burn, solid ash. Best 50 cent cigar I've smoked!
Ian, You're a man after my own heart!!!:-)

I have some friends (haters) that you need to talk to!
[Reply]
bobarian 12:41 PM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:

A flaky ash is sometimes indicative of a short filler cigar, but as Darrell said most Arganese are long filler.

Construction is usually not an issue with Arganese...Its the foul taste they leave in your mouth! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:48 PM 12-07-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
A flaky ash is sometimes indicative of a short filler cigar, but as Darrell said most Arganese are long filler.

Construction is usually not an issue with Arganese...Its the foul taste they leave in your mouth! :-):-):-)
Hater!!!:-)
[Reply]
Up