Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Closet Humidor help
livwire68 10:07 AM 11-11-2008
My lounge has been plugging along, got some furniture end of last week, waiting on a few more pics so the easy stuff is almost good to go. Sunday my Wife (who works at Lowe's) and I stopped in to check out some flooring, we choose this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...515&lpage=none
I am looking for the right marble for the flooring of the bathroom, and will probally put stone tile in the closet I am converting into a humi. So here are my questions: Should I seal the tile in the closet, I have been to some B&M's where they have just brick down to help control humidity (or so I am told). If I dont seal it may have the same effect, but will the stone hold up to the humidity (should especially since it is a small wide closet, not walkin). Next I need to know what type of paint would be good for the inside (non-toxic, no scent when cured and also hold up to the humidity) 65-70% humidity is not all that much when considering some parts of the country. I know I am not lining the inside with spanish cedar, very costly and could deminish the resale of house having an actual humidor, my way will let me convert it back to a closet easily. Now on to the shelving, I am thinking about going with a viniyl coated metal wire rack, to withstand the moisture. I would like to put them at a slight angle to present the boxes and trays a bit better. I did say trays, this is where my spanish cedar comes into play :-) to give it real humidor ambiance. I will also be putting a double french door with glass (to view the inside) stained to match the flooring, I will be weather sealing the door to make a tight seal to hold humidity. Here is a pic of the door, mine will be wider and unfinished:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...989&lpage=none

More than likley, I will be using led lights since they are cooler. Any suggestions are welcome.
[Reply]
livwire68 10:27 AM 11-11-2008
Here are some of the pics of the room now, at some point in time I will wallpaper about 3' up the wall put a wood trim and paint a different color. Give it a warm lounge/smoking room feel. I will also get a bigger tv (using desktop screen as a tv now.

[Reply]
livwire68 10:30 AM 11-11-2008
This is the entrance door on the left, with bathroom just to the right (inside the lounge) and the soon to be transformed closet

My Michael Godard prints will be going on this wall above the loveseat (when they get here)
[Reply]
livwire68 10:31 AM 11-11-2008
And this one completes all sides of the room, sorry about the pics the camera must be dirty

[Reply]
livwire68 04:19 PM 11-11-2008
shake n bake
[Reply]
BamBam 04:24 PM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by livwire68:
shake n bake
"The Magic Man...Now you see me...now you don't" :-)
[Reply]
BamBam 04:25 PM 11-11-2008
Nice lounge btw....gonna be awesome with that closet humi
[Reply]
HK3- 04:33 PM 11-11-2008
Great room for a project! Looking forward to seeing the transformation from a regular room to a man cave. :-)
[Reply]
Opusfxd 08:03 PM 11-11-2008
Nicely done there sir!! Keep up the good work.
[Reply]
cbsmokin 12:47 PM 11-12-2008
I live in ATL, rarely if ever is the humidity here below 70%. I don't think you need to seal the stone floors. The stone in my bathroom around the tub and on the floor are not sealed (stone not ceramic tile). They are going to absorb moisture, but I doubt you will completely penetrate it with simply a humidification device. I think you need to worry more about the drywall than the floor. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the paint, just air out the closet for a long time after painting and before you put your smokes in there.

Good luck with your project, keep the pictures coming.
[Reply]
livwire68 01:09 PM 11-13-2008
Thanks cbsmokin. The destruction has begun!!!!!!!!!!!

[Reply]
Garbandz 11:42 AM 04-27-2009
Gesundheit!!!!!
[Reply]
Up