Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Thanksgiving Traditions
Bill86 07:41 PM 11-18-2010
Luckily Nashville has many of 24 hour restaurants so I can get good food even when I'm piss drunk at 5am.

As for turkeyday it's easiest to go to honeybaked ham and get some damn tasty turkey and ham. Thats what we do every year.
[Reply]
neoflex 07:43 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by MarioF:
Coming from from an Italian family we do Thanksgiving a little different. This year we will have 35 or so people over, some from out of town, some friends of my nieces and nephews that don't have family in the area.
We start with an Italian antipasto which is Italian cold cuts, and antipasto salad and bread. The 2nd course is homemade pasta in a tomato sauce along with meatballs and other meats in the sauce. We then move onto the turkey, we will do 2, mashed potatos, roasted sweet potatos, stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, salad, cranberry and a few other sides.
Then we have dessert which will be a couple of pies, some fruit and Anise served with oil and vinegar.
Sounds like a lot of food, it is.
Whats funny is when someone new comes and they get so stuffed on the pasta, that when the turkey comes out they almost pass out.

We have a good time, Italians like to eat!
Sounds like the way we do it. The pasta consists of Lasagna. The newbs usually stuff themselves on the antipasto and the Lasagna is the topper never making it to the Turkey.:-)
[Reply]
Martel 08:02 PM 11-18-2010
When we do Thanksgiving at my brother's house, we smoke cigars and shoot clay birds from his deck. Always a great time.

Cheers,
G
[Reply]
e-man67 08:08 PM 11-18-2010
Usually at the inlaws and they are Italian. Homemade raviolli, bracholli, meatballs...that is the first course..then the turkey and stuffing..then about 6 homemade pies..then I feel like I am gonna die.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:46 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by e-man67:
Usually at the inlaws and they are Italian. Homemade raviolli, bracholli, meatballs...that is the first course..then the turkey and stuffing..then about 6 homemade pies..then I feel like I am gonna die.
You know you had a good Thanksgiving when your layed out on the couch and you feel like you are going to burst if you move too much and you can no longer hold a buzz because the alcohol just gets soaked up as soon as it hits your stomach.:-) In my family we refer to the fullness as "Wedding Full":-)
[Reply]
sofaman 05:49 AM 11-19-2010
We do a traditional Thanksgiving the whole family comes to my house for turky,stuffing,cranberry sauce and pumkin pie the the men head to the LR for Football and my wife gets out all the christmas decorations. But this year is going to be a little diffrent Thanksgiving day is me and my Wife's 10th wedding ann so after dinner her parents are going to take the kids for the weekend and after Black Friday shopping we are hedding to the Poconos for the weekend
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:10 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by sofaman:
We do a traditional Thanksgiving the whole family comes to my house for turky,stuffing,cranberry sauce and pumkin pie the the men head to the LR for Football and my wife gets out all the christmas decorations. But this year is going to be a little diffrent Thanksgiving day is me and my Wife's 10th wedding ann so after dinner her parents are going to take the kids for the weekend and after Black Friday shopping we are heading to the Poconos for the weekend
That's a great idea. Some romantic time w/out the kids is just what the pastor would order.

Of course, that could add to the...
...oh never mind...

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 07:07 AM 11-19-2010
My daughters birthday is the 27th, so we try to combine the holidays in to one venture. When she's older that wont be as possible but for now it's a great excuse for family to come to town.

My In-Laws who reside outside of Buffalo usually drive down for the week. Sadly this may be their last time to do so, as they are not getting any younger and with various health problems (both in their mid 70's).

My mother comes up from Arkansas as does my Step Dad. We usually have it at our house in Missouri.

Every year my mom makes the Turkey and I make a bourbon and brown sugar ham. The recipe is my own. My wife makes a big birthday and Thanksgiving cake.

My daughters request for her birthday is always the same: the family puts up the Christmas tree while we are all together.

So Thanksgiving for us becomes a multiple holiday celebration in the course of three days.

It's a grand time. My Father - In Law and I spent evenings and mornings on the porch with cigars, coffee or cigars and Sam Adams. My daughter works on sculptures with my mother in law and chooses the colors of her cake.

It's a lot like Thanksgiving from when I was a boy, a large family gathering, but we have scattered to the winds now.

Still, probably my favorite time of year.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:17 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by sikk50:
Every year since I can remember we have the priests (usually around 3-4 priests and a brother or two), and their usual cook (good friends with my mom, Korean imigrant and has no family state side), and a couple family friends or my friends if they have no where to go.

I love have the priests over, we do it for Easter and Christmas as well. They often have nowhere to go for dinner and they always give Chong (their cook) the holidays off. This started the year after my grandma disappeared, she had always wanted to do it, so my mom started as a rememberance thing.

Additionally we have two quirky little traditions. First we have a white table cloth we use only for Thanksgiving, we use perminant pens designed for cloth, and everyone present writes their name on the cloth and maybe a little note and the year. I think the oldest name was my grandmas last year, 1993. Its getting pretty full now. The next is after everyone leaves we sit down as a family, usually one of my friends is there by now, and watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to kick off the Christmas season.

*Saddly I'm not going home for Thanksgiving this year. My parents will be coming up here and we will be having dinner with my Aunt and Uncle. :-)
I think we're going to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation in the mancave tonight! Glad I can be a part of one of your traditions!!!:-)

Oh... And you'll be there... Turkey!!!
:-)
[Reply]
TheMadBaker 07:20 AM 11-19-2010
Open Invite:
For anyone that is in or near the Winter Haven, FL area...you are welcomed to come by eat and have a smoke in the "man-cave"...Larry and I would love to have you come by. Please PM myself or Larry (Ogre3239) for directions and time...
[Reply]
sikk50 12:25 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
I think we're going to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation in the mancave tonight! Glad I can be a part of one of your traditions!!!:-)

Oh... And you'll be there... Turkey!!!
:-)
I've already got my smokes picked out!
[Reply]
sofaman 05:28 PM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
That's a great idea. Some romantic time w/out the kids is just what the pastor would order.

Of course, that could add to the...
...oh never mind...

Peace of the Lord be with you.
:-):-):-) Thanks Brother
[Reply]
M1903A1 07:48 PM 11-19-2010
My only real tradition is that I roast a duck, not a turkey.
[Reply]
ODLS1 11:54 PM 11-22-2010
Not much. Typically a HUGE dinner with the my large family. Sooo many things to eat. A new tradition is me bringing kegs of my homebrewed beer.
[Reply]
MrsSledn 09:16 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by MarioF:
Coming from from an Italian family we do Thanksgiving a little different. This year we will have 35 or so people over, some from out of town, some friends of my nieces and nephews that don't have family in the area.
We start with an Italian antipasto which is Italian cold cuts, and antipasto salad and bread. The 2nd course is homemade pasta in a tomato sauce along with meatballs and other meats in the sauce. We then move onto the turkey, we will do 2, mashed potatos, roasted sweet potatos, stuffing, stuffed mushrooms, salad, cranberry and a few other sides.
Then we have dessert which will be a couple of pies, some fruit and Anise served with oil and vinegar.
Sounds like a lot of food, it is.
Whats funny is when someone new comes and they get so stuffed on the pasta, that when the turkey comes out they almost pass out.

We have a good time, Italians like to eat!
YES! Finally I don't feel weird! Before my mom moved up to Wisconsin we had the same thing happening at our house. My grandpa was born in Sicily. We had some of the best holiday's ever. Sadly, those don't happen anymore due to the death's of my grandpa and my mom.

Sledn and I used to shoot darts every Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. There is a big dart tournement every year. Now, we go to Sledn's parents house every year. Early dinner. Home and I continue decorating.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up