Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>HF beads and temerature change
alexa071 02:19 AM 11-17-2010
Hi,

I've been using 70% HF beads in my 250 Ct. and my 75 Ct. humidors for the last 6 months or so. My humidors, in that time, have ALWAYS read exactly 70%. I monitor humidity with calibrated Hygroset II's and they have been calibrated recently. Now that winter is here for us, the temperature where I keep my humidors has dropped from 70 deg. to around 65 deg. I know the humidity drops in the house with the furnace running. The humidity in BOTH humidors now reads fairly steady at around 66-67%.

Do you think the drop in humidity in the humidors is due to my beads being unable to keep up with humidity loss or just from the drop in temperature? I should note that I use 1/2 lb. of beads in the 75 ct. and 1 lb. of beads in the 250 ct. humidor. Also, the beads don't seem to be drying out any faster than normal.

Thanks!

Alexa
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:17 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by alexa071:
Hi,

I've been using 70% HF beads in my 250 Ct. and my 75 Ct. humidors for the last 6 months or so. My humidors, in that time, have ALWAYS read exactly 70%. I monitor humidity with calibrated Hygroset II's and they have been calibrated recently. Now that winter is here for us, the temperature where I keep my humidors has dropped from 70 deg. to around 65 deg. I know the humidity drops in the house with the furnace running. The humidity in BOTH humidors now reads fairly steady at around 66-67%.

Do you think the drop in humidity in the humidors is due to my beads being unable to keep up with humidity loss or just from the drop in temperature? I should note that I use 1/2 lb. of beads in the 75 ct. and 1 lb. of beads in the 250 ct. humidor. Also, the beads don't seem to be drying out any faster than normal.

Thanks!

Alexa
Probably a combination of both temp and humidity change, Randy. No worries at 66-67%, in fact, you may find this more desirable. I have the same issues here in WI this time of year, but don't sweat the slight fluctuations. Once mine drop into the lower 60's%, I'll just add some distilled water to the pucks (never to the beads themselves) to raise it slightly.

Enjoy the hobby.
[Reply]
alexa071 02:41 AM 11-18-2010
Thanks for the info!
[Reply]
Up